Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Dell trying to promote Ubuntu, doing a terribly poor job"

Beans

Re: "Dell trying to promote Ubuntu, doing a terribly poor job"

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Precisely. Dell's effort has consistently fallen well short of what the community wants from an OEM, with predictable results.

It's not rocket science that a product that isn't marketed or supported properly isn't going to do well.
    Thank you for proving my point.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Damned if they do, damned if they dont!
    Want an alternative to 99% of Windows applications?
    http://www.osalt.com/

"Dude, real programmers compile" - Plato 428BC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

TBH if I need a new machine I'll either A. Build it myself or buy it from system76 or Dell... I do like Dell machines and personally I'd like to support whatever efforts are being made..

and if more people do buy computers with Ubuntu installed... companies like dell would be more inclined to offer more.... since lets face... they will sell whatever sells best...

And without companies selling machins pre-loaded Ubuntu and other Linux systems will never take a major market share since 99% of people will never install an OS themselves...

For example my brother in law prefers Linux now and said he'd never use windows.... but in no way would he ever be comfortable installing an OS himself regardless of how easy it is...

So convincing companies to sell pre-loaded is the only way I see to get to the mass market, and companies wont do it.... unless they see their toe dips actually selling.... and for that to happen.... we do need to buy Linux machines and not Windows ones... otherwise as far as the companies are concerned.... we're windows users....

And companies like adobe will never support Linux unless/until they have a mass market appeal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Thank you for proving my point.
    He didn't prove your point. Dell is trying to market this laptop towards "developers", yet its got a measly 720p screen resolution, which makes the hardware itself straight up unappealing to its target audience. If they up the screen resolution to something developers want, and support the product properly I think it would sell pretty well.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by screaminj3sus View Post
    He didn't prove your point. Dell is trying to market this laptop towards "developers", yet its got a measly 720p screen resolution, which makes the hardware itself straight up unappealing to its target audience. If they up the screen resolution to something developers want, and support the product properly I think it would sell pretty well.
    thats a pretty good point actually.... I'll stick with system76 if I buy a premade system
    Last edited by Primefalcon; December 1st, 2012 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

So you prefer Dell or any of the OEMs not to make a start. So we should write to them and ask them to stop.

As someone said earlier "dammed if they do, dammed if they don't, unbelievable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I think the title of the entire thread is misleading...

Dell is not trying to promote Ubuntu. They are trying to sell computers and other hardware.

Consider:
    The fact that they identify specific hardware as compatible with Ubuntu / Linux.
    The fact that they allow Linux users to avoid paying for Windows.

These are both a step in the right direction.

The people who should be trying to promote sales of Dell Ubuntus are:
    Canonical
    Us (the community) - only if you believe in doing so

Remember, Dell don't care if you buy an Ubuntu computer or a Windows one - their profit is likely to be similar either way. By offering Ubuntu pre-installed, they merely increase their market into the (small) Linux userbase.

I would wholeheartedly support them: the last 3 laptops I bought for my family had Linux pre-installed. One was from Dell.

As some have already said, by complaining that they aren't jumping up and down to become part of the community merely serves to deter others following suit. If they can't count on existing users (who won't require marketing) buying from them, why would anyone else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    So you prefer Dell or any of the OEMs not to make a start. So we should write to them and ask them to stop.

As someone said earlier "dammed if they do, dammed if they don't, unbelievable.
    No one's telling them to stop, they are telling them what can be done to make the product more appealing to the audience that would be interested in buying it.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

A quick search shows these available

XPS 13

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3517U (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz)
    Operating System UBUNTU Linux 12.04
    Display 13.3" HD 720p
    Memory2 8GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    Hard Drive 256GB Solid State Drive
    Video Card Intel HD 4000
    Warranty 1 Year ProSupport with 1 Year NBD Limited Onsite Service After Remote Diagnosis
    System Weight 2.99 lbs

Vostro 2520

Processor Intel® Celeron® Dual Core B820 processor (1.70GHz)
    Operating System UBUNTU Linux
    Display London Slate Gray
    Memory2 2GB3 Single Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    Hard Drive 320GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Optical Drive 8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Video Card Intel® HD Graphics/HD Graphics 3000
    Warranty 1 Year Basic Hardware Service with 1 Year NBD Onsite Service after Remote Diagnosis
    System Weight 5.2 lbs

Vostro 2420

Processor Intel® Celeron® Dual Core B820 processor (1.70GHz)
    Operating System UBUNTU Linux
    Display 14.0" High Definition (720p) LED with Anti-Glare™
    Memory2 2GB3 Single Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
    Hard Drive 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
    Optical Drive 8X CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
    Video Card Intel® HD Graphics/HD Graphics 3000
    Warranty 1 Year Basic Hardware Service with 1 Year NBD Onsite Service after Remote Diagnosis
    System Weight 4.83 lbs

Beans

No one's telling them to stop, they are telling them what can be done to make the product more appealing to the audience that would be interested in buying it.

It's a high risk venture they are hardly going to invest a lot of money just to test the waters.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast