Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bash script in a ppa.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Bash script in a ppa.

My impression, though, is that that level of complexity is the rationale for PPAs in the first place. To get that level of being able to update things on the fly like that, you sort of have to do all of what's required.

Another alternative might be to create a very simple install file as part of your package, and then put it up on Github for others to use. If you sign up with a public account (anyone can download your stuff, but not contribute to the branch (I think)), it's free. Then people who want it can just clone the latest branch to their computers and run your installer to set it up the way you want. The installer probably doesn't need to be any more than a few lines of code just to put the files where they need to be and maybe check for a dependency or two if need be.

Me personally, for such a simple project (as you're describing it), I'd go the Github route for distribution.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You know, I had a look at github... I may end up going that way. I eventually want to port the bash script to c++ for windows users, if I do that I could use its source to make the package for ppa instead, yes? We will see. I am atm recovering from a catastrophic attempt at installing arch, lol, so this has been back-burnered
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Success! The information needed for this sort of project can be found here and can be used to create .deb for simple bash scripts, and presumably other scripts.
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12