Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to force-install a .run file?

Beans

How to force-install a .run file?

I'm having troubles with my graphic card.

I was guided to this thread from another thread I started and thought I found the solution in a new driver for my card.

However the installer won't let me install:

One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system.
    Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver. Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    See /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details.
    The install-log dosen't exist in the given path during the installation-process and afterwards the entire folder disappears. Nor does a search for the logfile render any hits, hence I do not know what "required tools" I should be downloading?

I looked up force-installing and tried the advise offered but they both resulted in previous result(above error-message). Is it even advisable to force-install and if so how do I do it seeing that the "chmod a+x *.run" and "sudo ./*.run" commands aren't doing it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: How to force-install a .run file?

have you read here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

chmod command make the file executable sudo elevates privileges to root power so you can run the file that makes systemwide changes.

can you copy (mark text with mouse, right click it, then copy) and post here what you put in terminal and what it gives you out?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Terminal Method

Assume the file is called some-app.run and is in the folder /home/user/Downloads. You will need to modify these instructions to fit your situation.

enter cd /home/user/Downloads

sudo chmod +x some-app.run
    sudo sh ./some-app.run

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    have you read here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

chmod command make the file executable sudo elevates privileges to root power so you can run the file that makes systemwide changes.

can you copy (mark text with mouse, right click it, then copy) and post here what you put in terminal and what it gives you out?
    Yes I've done that check-list and as far as I understand it's compatible:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Cape Verde [Radeon HD 7700 Series] [1002:683d] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
    Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Terminal Method

Assume the file is called some-app.run and is in the folder /home/user/Downloads. You will need to modify these instructions to fit your situation.

enter cd /home/user/Downloads

sudo chmod +x some-app.run
    sudo sh ./some-app.run
    I don't know if I was unclear in my post but this IS what I have been trying to do, that's when i get the following error-message from the INSTALLER not from the terminal as I understand it. I just tried it again exactly the way you wrote dino99, and I get the error message from the installer:
    Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver. Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
    Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
    So what - is it telling me to force-install although I'm already forceinstalling?

This is what appears in the Terminal itself:
    p@p-desktop:~$ cd ~/Desktop
    p@p-desktop:~/Desktop$ ls
    amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta8-x86.x86_64.run todo 15-11-2012~ todo 29-11-2012~
    Another link to todo 15-11-2012~ todo 29-11-2012
    p@p-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta8-x86.x86_64.run
    p@p-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta8-x86.x86_64.run
    Created directory fglrx-install.3BDHhd
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver-9.01.8............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
    ================================================== ===================
    AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver Installer/Packager
    ================================================== ===================
    Detected configuration:
    Architecture: x86_64 (64-bit)
    X Server: X.Org 6.9 or later 64-bit
    loki_setup: directory: (null)
    Sorry if I missed something, I am a total newbie at this, thanks for any elaboration if I missed something
    Last edited by deadlylady; December 4th, 2012 at 01:12 PM.

Beans

If I may speculate, you are trying to install the latest catalyst drivers via the "run" file? If yes, i did the same thing and got the same missing tools error. I was able to solve the issue by completing the following:

sudo apt-get install linux-source
    sudo apt-get install linux-headers-3.5.0-17-generic
    I am an extreme newbie and dont know why it worked, but it did. I posted a little write up, along with proper credit http://www.411overkill.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=8285
    Last edited by element6; December 4th, 2012 at 02:33 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by element6 View Post
    If I may speculate, you are trying to install the latest catalyst drivers via the "run" file? If yes, i did the same thing and got the same missing tools error. I was able to solve the issue by completing the following:

I am an extreme newbie and dont know why it worked, but it did. I posted a little write up, along with proper credit http://www.411overkill.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=8285
    Ok, thank you tried this, it installed a bunch of stuff and everything went well except installing the amd-driver, same error:
    Edit: Actually I think I somehow managed to install the driver from a guide linked by a user in my other thread on my problems with graphics card and ubuntu:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2088463
    But it still didn't solve my overall problems. But I think it installed the driver, although according to the method described in this thread I am lacking some necessary components
    Last edited by deadlylady; December 4th, 2012 at 03:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I don't know 100% what the .run file is trying to install, but it seems to get stuck at installing fglrx. Since that is a separate package too, try installing it yourself first:
    sudo apt-get install fglrx

In fact, I have seen posts about installing ATI drivers where they only install the fglrx and don't install any .run files after that.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Hummm..... Im trying to think back to my marathon weekend which got rid of the error. The only other thing I did was install some libs per:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch i386 lib32gcc1 libc6-i386
    Then try installing the ATI driver:

sudo sh ./ati-driver-installer-catalyst-12.10-x86.x86_64.run
    (or whatever driver you are trying to install)

Once again, the link: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12429...-drivers-fglrx

Let me know if it works.

EDIT: I did the install for 64bit.
    Last edited by element6; December 4th, 2012 at 03:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Have you tried visiting the support section of the AMD website?

If you select to download the linux drivers for your specific card, it also has a link to unofficial wiki. In there, there is actually a section about installing drivers for ubuntu:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu

Just select your version and follow it. It actually says the most common way to install is simply installing fglrx from the ubuntu repositories.

As far as the .run file is concerned, the instructions say you use it to create .deb file. It's not used to install directly. The command to create the .deb is different to the one you tried to install with, so those messages might be because of that.

The wiki covers a few different install procedures including removing older existing drivers if you need to do that.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Distro

PS. You also have these instructions:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

In the Manually Installing Catalyst 12.6 section it also mentions the command to create .deb file from the .run, which also confirms you need to do that. The .run doesn't seem to install the driver by itself.
    Darko.
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast