Thread: speakers corner, video diary? Looking for pointers to components

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

speakers corner, video diary? Looking for pointers to components

I've poked around a bit on google looking for something that might already do what I'm looking for and I'm not having much luck... either:

a) I'm calling it the wrong thing, or
    b) It doesn't exist, in which case I'm looking for tips on the pieces I might need to put together to pull it off myself.

The goal is to have a video app that provides a speakers corner (old Toronto), or video diary type functionality. The type of thing you could throw on a laptop, plug in a video camera, and stick it at the back of a Banquet Hall during a wedding and people could leave private video messages to the newlyweds... or maybe just have it kicking around at a party. Basically, all it should do is have a frame displaying what the camera sees, and a couple buttons "Record", "Stop", "Name Recording", etc.

So, my questions are:
    a) Does something like this exist? What is a generic term for what I'm looking for? I only know it as "Speakers Corner"....
    b) If something doesn't exist, what linux pieces would I need to put it together *

*If I'm putting it together myself, I'd likely start in python, and so related python comps would be good:
    -Video capture
    -User interface
    -Mechanism to cripple everything else in the OS except the UI components I want the peopel to use (e.g., "Push This Red Button To Record").

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: speakers corner, video diary? Looking for pointers to components

Did you ever find such a piece of software?

I'm looking for a video diary piece of software too, but all I can think of so far is Cheese, but that's not really very good or suitable.

Anyone have any more suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unfortunately nothing so far. I started working on creating my own in python using the gstreamer framework, which was going ok for the most part, but I hit a bit of a snag, then work picked up, and I haven't gone back to it. I will definitely come back to this thread if I get anywhere with the project.

Beans

Your speakers corner idea is totally what I am looking for as well. Have you made any headway or found anything existing out there?