Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: System sees Windows 7 which doesn't exist

Beans

Re: System sees Windows 7 which doesn't exist

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    are you having an issue booting to your OS ? That message just means it is NTFS which is a Windows FS so it labels it as Win vista/7 it doesnt mean it thinks Windows is on there.

If you dont have Windows then you shouldnt really be using an internal drive as NTFS anyways, you would be better off using a Linux FS such as Ext4 if its gonna be data
    Grub sees it as a os....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Beardedturtle View Post
    Grub sees it as a os....
    it is seeing the bootsector, it is assuming an OS of Windows nature on there due it to being NTFS, NTFS 5 which is why its labelling it as Vista or Windows 7.

Is that the issue ? are you actually having a problem or you dont want it to say that ? in which case change the FS, I think you said you are not using windows at all so in which case then you should change the filesystem anyways.

the error upon boot about it missing boot files is when you or the machine try to boot to the drive and it cant find NTLDR, so change the physical order of the drives in the machine or change the BIOS settings so it never tried to boot to that drive, it is a data drive by the sounds of it so should never try to boot to it
    Last edited by haqking; December 1st, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by haqking View Post
    it is seeing the bootsector, it is assuming an OS of Windows nature on there due it to being NTFS, NTFS 5 which is why its labelling it as Vista or Windows 7.

Is that the issue ? are you actually having a problem or you dont want it to say that ? in which case change the FS, I think you said you are not using windows at all so in which case then you should change the filesystem anyways.

the error upon boot about it missing boot files is when you or the machine try to boot to the drive and it cant find NTLDR, so change the physical order of the drives in the machine or change the BIOS settings so it never tried to boot to that drive, it is a data drive by the sounds of it so should never try to boot to it
    There are rare times that my SSD will crash and the bios would go to the spare instantly on reboot oh it will skip the post message so it will go straight into it it requiring a second boot...Zotac Mini ITX Sandy Bridge.

Beans

Went to root (sudo su) then gparted and went to the spare drive it is flagged as boot >_< which flag should I pick?

Edit I picked the lvm flag and now the main SSD drive is flagged as boot.
    Last edited by Beardedturtle; December 1st, 2012 at 03:09 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123