I am a newbie at ubuntu, so please excuse me for obvious/retarded mistakes.

This is my original problem:
Not software rendered: no
Unity 3D supported: no
Along with countless problem-windows popping up now and then.

So far I've installed Ati binary driver as described in this page, but that only messed things up worse with all the window decoration suddenly not working with compiz.

I was guided to this thread from another thread I started and thought I found the solution in a new driver for my card.

However the installer won't let me install:
One or more tools required for installation cannot be found on the system.
Install the required tools before installing the fglrx driver. Optionally, run the installer with --force option to install without the tools.
Forcing install will disable AMD hardware acceleration and may make your system unstable. Not recommended.
See /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log for more details.
The install-log dosen't exist in the given path during the installation-process and afterwards the entire folder disappears. Nor does a search for the logfile render any hits, hence I do not know what "required tools" I should be downloading?

I looked up force-installing and tried the advise offered but they both resulted in previous result(above error-message). Is it even advisable to force-install and if so how do I do it seeing that the "chmod a+x *.run" and "sudo ./*.run" commands aren't doing it?

Any other ideas what I should do to get my graphic card in sync with Ubuntu?