Thread: offline codecs install

Beans

Red face offline codecs install

Please help
    I installed Ubuntu11.10 32bit in an IBMTP41 notebook, that is NOT connected to the internet,
    tried running video files such as .mp4,.flv,.avi,.Xvid, in Movie Player but it asks for plugins, see the list below
    mp4: MPEG-4 AAC decoder; H.264 decoder
    flv: SorensonSpark Video decoder; MPEG-1 Layer3(MP3) decoder
    avi: MPEG-1 Layer3 (MP3) decoder; MPEG video decoder
    XviD: AC-3 (ATSC A/52) decoder; XviD MPEG-4 decoder

how do i donwload (from another computer with internet) and install all these plugins and their dependencies.
    I also want to install the VLC Media player and its dependencies
    I assume this is related to the restricted codecs and I have tried donwnload/install them with no success.
    I read "Comprehensive Multimedia & Video how to" but it assumes a connected computer.
    I'll appreciate all ur help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: offline codecs install

There is no really easy, painless way of doing this, unfortunately; and certainly not with the default Ubuntu software.

Assuming you have the same version of Ubuntu on both computers (this won't work if you don't, and tou'll have to try slightly more difficult methods): the most foolproof way, though it is inelegant, is to install ubuntu-restricted-extras and VLC on your machine that does have internet access.

Then, copy the contents of /var/cache/apt/archives onto a USB memory stick. Go to the un-connected computer & plug in the memory stick, and copy those files into that computer's /var/cache/apt/archives directory. When you've done that, open up a terminal (ctrl+alt+t) and paste in the following commands, one line at a time. You'll need to enter your password at least once.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras vlc
    With that done, you should be able to play back those formats.

Beans

Arrow Re: offline codecs install

Thanku evilsoup 4 ur prompt reply, unfortunately my connected computer has Ubuntu12.04 (not 11.10), I'll wait some more and if nothing else comes up i'll try u suggestion.
    Thaku i_karpas

Beans

Re: offline codecs install

Thanku evilsoup 4 ur prompt reply, unfortunately my connected computer has Ubuntu12.04 (not 11.10), I'll wait some more and if nothing else comes up i'll try u suggestion.
    Thanku i_karpas