Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Absolute noob with no internet ready to throw my computer out the window

Beans

Absolute noob with no internet ready to throw my computer out the window

I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my PC. I have no internet. I have my USB wifi hooked up and windows drivers and ndiswrapper but I cannot install anything because the install button is gray. I have looked for hours and no luck. I feel like going back to Windows 7 but and willing to have this as my absolute last resort. Thanks for any and all help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Absolute noob with no internet ready to throw my computer out the window

Not all USB wi-fi dongles are compatible with Ubuntu, their drivers simply are not adapted to this OS. Which model do you have?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome to the forums. Don't do any throwing away just yet.

ndiswrapper is largely superseded and you may have gotten that info from an old site. Avoid. If you installed that before doing an update with an ethernet cable then ndiswrapper could be preventing your card working! Let me assure you that it will almost definitely prevent you getting anything else to work and I would totally uninstall it before attempting anything else. Have you looked in Additional Drivers?

Post the results of these three commands (run one at a time) from a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) with the dongle plugged in:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    iwconfig
    lsusb
    You also don't provide any details on the USB dongle ... What is it???

PS: Save some sweat and if you can't find what your looking for elsewhere online or are confused or unsure about what you do find, make the forums your next resort! The forums and its users are here to help ...
    Last edited by Elfy; November 25th, 2012 at 08:47 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by squenson View Post
    Not all USB wi-fi dongles are compatible with Ubuntu, their drivers simply are not adapted to this OS. Which model do you have?
    I have a d-link DWA 130c. I have seen code that you have to type and it works or something but IDK where to start with code and stuff. I have windows drivers from xp and vista.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have you plugged in an ethernet cable and done updates with that device plugged in?

As I mentioned, not much will probably work, code or otherwise, with ndiswrapper installed. Other thing is this appears to have N capabilities and your access point/router may not. That could actually be the problem.

Please read post #3 again and post the requested info. Thanks. That will give an idea of where you're currently at.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 26th, 2012 at 04:25 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Have you plugged in an ethernet cable and done updates with that device plugged in?

As I mentioned, not much will probably work, code or otherwise, with ndiswrapper installed. Other thing is this appears to have N capabilities and your access point/router may not. That could actually be the problem.

Please read post #3 again and post the requested info. Thanks. That will give an idea of where you're currently at.
    I do not have access to an Ethernet cable and was unsuccessful in installing ndiswrapper. The wifi adapter has worked with my current router in Windows 7.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Post the results of these commands and forget about ndiswrapper then. Cheers.

sudo lshw -C network
    iwconfig
    lsusb

If you can't get online with the machine you are going to need to drop them to a usb dongle. You probably couldn't install ndiswrapper because you are not online. That will prevent you installing anything except from local media.

As for the ethernet cable, it would make things much easier if you could beg, borrow, or steal one or get the machine to somewhere you can get online ...
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 26th, 2012 at 04:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Post the results of these commands and forget about ndiswrapper then. Cheers.

sudo lshw -C network
    iwconfig
    lsusb

If you can't get online with the machine you are going to need to drop them to a usb dongle. You probably couldn't install ndiswrapper because you are not online. That will prevent you installing anything except from local media.

As for the ethernet cable, it would make things much easier if you could beg, borrow, or steal one or get the machine to somewhere you can get online ...

Code:
    ~$ sudo lshw -C network
    PCI (sysfs)  

*-network DISABLED      
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: N10/ICH 7 Family LAN Controller
           vendor: Intel Corporation
           physical id: 8
           bus info: pci@0000:05:08.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: 01
           serial: 00:12:3f:6e:fd:24
           size: 10Mbit/s
           capacity: 100Mbit/s
           width: 32 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=e100 driverversion=3.5.24-k2-NAPI duplex=half firmware=N/A latency=64 link=no maxlatency=56 mingnt=8 multicast=yes port=MII speed=10Mbit/s
           resources: irq:20 memory:f9eff000-f9efffff ioport:ccc0(size=64)
      *-network DISABLED
           description: Wireless interface
           physical id: 1
           bus info: usb@1:2
           logical name: wlan0
           serial: 00:22:b0:73:fb:ab
           capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=rtl819xU multicast=yes wireless=802.11b/g

iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     802.11b/g  Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   
              Bit Rate:1 Mb/s   
              Retry min limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=0/100  Signal level=0 dBm  Noise level=0 dBm
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.

isusb
    No command 'isusb' found, did you mean:
     Command 'lsusb' from package 'usbutils' (main)
    isusb: command not found
    If I could get to an Ethernet cable, what would I need to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Okay, you're actually looking good. You have a driver already installed automagically, probably for your dongle unless you have an internal card:

driver=rtl819xU

You are not associated to any access point though. You need to find out the name of your network. When you left click the network icon, do you get a list of available networks? Is yours there?

You need to know the correct name and the security type and details. You can then right click the network icon and 'Edit connections' and set up your connection in Network Manager ...

The last command was 'lsusb' not 'isusb'.

PS: You don't have a wireless toggle switch and it is off? Is there a wireless light? And if you had an ethernet cable you could install things you might need and do an update which might this quickly.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 26th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast