Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is android all that good?

Hybrid View

Beans

Is android all that good?

Like i just said is android all that well and good? I believe not it can handle angry birds but came out in 2009 this aint that long ago but i think we should build a true Linux smartphone OS get all the power of the kernel after all they can use DSL probably so why don't we? and lets get a new UI all those apps don't work that well the way they are displayed lets see dose any one have the same thinking track as me? I don't make OSes and can only do basics in Ruby so if you think like me post here this might take awhile two years maybe? but i think we need 3 things
    1. speed
    2. stability
    3. not too resource hungry
    this might work it could fail first all we need is a kernel that works on phones and works well
    then lets get complex but just post ideas here this is to inspire not to develop

Beans

Re: Is android all that good?

I have a Galaxy S3 which I replaced my iPhone 4 with and a ASUS Nexus 7 which replace my iPad3. They are both awesome bits of kit, the only complaint I have is Samsung is painfully slow at releasing OS updates.

I am currently waiting for the Nexus 10 to arrive here in NZ and I will get that .
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have the Motorola RAZR (first release.) Yes, it does crash more often than an iphone, but it is considerably more customizable than apple. It's the happiest I've been with a smart phone.

Beans

I have had zero crashes on my Galaxy S3 and Nexus 7 they are rock solid
    This account is not active.

Beans

I have the Google Nexus (original) and have no apps that dont work, it is fast, stable and resources are fine.

Do you have an example of something that doesnt work in Android or something it cant do that I need ?

There is nothing so far in like 2 years or more that this phone and Android (currently running Gingerbread) that it cant do for me at least
    Last edited by haqking; November 29th, 2012 at 05:51 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

I was thinking that if your tablet did everything that your laptop did would have laptop, and do you think that android can do that I think we need something more powerful for that Linux is good for this you could try to port over DSL maybe?
    all I am saying if you want more can android do it maybe we need a new angle at this

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mythic97 View Post
    ... i think we should build a true Linux smartphone OS...
    Uh... You do realise that Android is Linux, don't you?

Or did I misunderstand your question?
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Landau View Post
    Uh... You do realise that Android is Linux, don't you?

Or did I misunderstand your question?

He did say "true linux"

Not sure what he means by that, but he does appear to be acknowledging android as a linux of sorts.

???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cbanakis View Post
    He did say "true linux"

Not sure what he means by that, but he does appear to be acknowledging android as a linux of sorts.

???
    Well, to go head-to-head with Android and iPhone & iPad, you would have to be big with plenty of money to burn.

Like Microsoft's Windows 8 with its new app store.

But even Microsoft is not guaranteed to become a major competitor, although it may yet manage.

The three companies — Google, Apple and soon Microsoft — comprise a monopsony in this field.

I do not see any Linux distro (or indeed any other OS) managing to break into this market, unless backed by a giant such as Google — such as Android, a Linux distro backed by the giant Google!

That is why Ubuntu for Android is such a great idea.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Have to side with everyone else.

While I won't say don't do it. Heck if nothing else it might be a fun experiment for you to do.

But I still have what is now an antique HTC Inspire and with the ability to Root the phone and install custom ROMs on it. I have it running Android 4 with all the HTC bells and whistles. This is on a single core phone. It does it fairly snappy.

That is why I actually like Android.

The ability to (with a bit of work and know-how (thanks to this community and the great people on the xda developers forum I was confident enough to apply) freely change it and tweak it and mess with it to get it the way I want it to be is a highly prized commodity to me. Android gives me that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast