Thread: Formating thumb drive in Linux Mint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Formating thumb drive in Linux Mint

Not sure where to post this, guess it will get moved if its in the wrong area. Anyway, I moved from Ubuntu 10.04 to Linux Mint 13 Mate. Pretty much the same but with a few differences. I put a thumb drive in and was going to format it by right clicking and choosing format like I did in 10.04. Not there. I can format it with Gparted, but it was a lot easier just to right click. Anyone know how to change this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Formating thumb drive in Linux Mint

Thread moved to Other OS/Distro Talk

Although it is based on Ubuntu, Mint is a separate distribution in its own right.

Regards!
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

You can install gnome-disk-utility, which you can then run from the menu (called "Disks") and use that to format your USB sticks. The gnome-disk-utility was one of the very few programs not forked by the MATE developers from GNOME 2.

As per the following topic over on the MATE forums, I don't think gnome-disk-utility integrates in Caja's right-click menu: http://forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1481

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

if you use gnome's disk utility, you must unmount the flash drive 1st before formatting!