Thread: forget hotspot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

forget hotspot

I was recently in a hotel that did not have wireless, only a wired connection for 15 Euros. I wanted a wireless connection for the company supplied tablet, and made a half-hearted effort to create a wireless hotspot with my laptop.

It did not work, and I honestly did not have time to chase down why, so I told the laptop to forget the hotspot, and I thought I would look into it later.

Now, when I wake the laptop up from sleep, or on boot, it connects immediately to the hotspot I told it for forget, and has only the hotspot as an available wireless connection. I have to turn the external wireless switch off and on to be able to see any other network, then choose something other than the unwanted wireless hotspot.

Where is this remembered, and how do I eliminate it entirely until/unless I have time and inclination to see if it can be set up. Also, if I do eventually get it set up, how do I have it as an option and not as the default connection to the laptop? Obviously, if I am not on a wired connection, it automatically choosing the hotspot doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro

Re: forget hotspot

bump

No one knows how to kill a created hotspot and leave the wireless working?

Beans

Right clicking on the network icon and selecting edit connections doesn't work ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Right clicking on the network icon and selecting edit connections doesn't work ?
    Obviously Unity and Cinnamon DE's handle things a little differently, and normally I am quite happy they do! Using unity (which I can't stand, and just doesn't work for me the way I use a computer) did allow a right click and an edit of the connections. Cinnamon does not have a right click menu for the network manager.

[rant mode]
    I have set a number of people up with Ubuntu, always starting them off with the unity desktop environment. They would be able to get help easier from the forums (more people use the default, so more people would be able to offer solutions), thus maybe saving me providing ongoing additional support.

Without exception, within days, often mere hours, they have said they didn't like the interface and were going to drop Linux entirely, asking me to remove it, or how to remove it - until I showed them another DE, all that I have set up other DE's for are still using Linux. So much for unity being intuitive and easy to use for the "masses".
    [/rant mode]

Beans

Even Cinnamon or whatever you are using must have a way of opening the network application.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Even Cinnamon or whatever you are using must have a way of opening the network application.
    Cinnamon does have a way to open the NM, but it's only a left click. It does offer a "forget network", but it apparently does not work as intended, as it never forgot the hotspot.