Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressed with ringtail nvidia 310.14

Beans

Impressed with ringtail nvidia 310.14

This is the first version of ubuntu with unity de i have ran that is silky smooth compared to 12.04/12.10 etc. Compiz is running nicely without any animation lags and the unity reveal animation is jerk free.

I have been critical of past versions of unity because of the jerky animations and compiz bugs but if ringtail is running this well at release time then it will earn a spot as my main distro on my ssd drive where windows 7 currently resides.

Has anyone else found the performance of ringtail to be a significant improvement?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Wow seriously impressed with ringtail nvidia 310.14

So far its been great, I have not installed compiz yet but from what you say I will try it out.

I have a nvidia card and in the past have had problems with there drivers.

Beans

This is also the first version of ubuntu where the chrome pepper flash is working properly and there is no stuttering sound though it's likely due to a update with the pepper flash.

Also installing the nvidia-experimental-310 driver seemed to be much smoother with compiz that the default version.
    Last edited by nuttzo31; November 28th, 2012 at 01:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I just hope this good unity performace will continue untill the final release or maybe there's still room for improvement to make it more faster, lighter and better. Still long way to go, though...

Beans

Yeah there is hopefully more performance and bug fixes to come but it's not the first time i have seen a pre release run great during testing but been disappointed with the final release.

I am also a little angry that i am still getting the random lockup/freezes where the computer is completely unresponsive and i have to hold the power button down to restart, ringtail will never be able to replace windows as my main os if that issue is still present.

Beans
    Distro

There are many bugs unresolved about compiz performance:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz/+b....tag=gdebugger

Beans
    Distro

I am also a little angry that i am still getting the random lockup/freezes where the computer is completely unresponsive and i have to hold the power button down to restart, ringtail will never be able to replace windows as my main os if that issue is still present.
    Magic SysRq did not work for you?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    Magic SysRq did not work for you?
    No, i suspect that there is still network activity whilst it is in a full lockup but i don't have a second computer so i can't ssh into the frozen system to see if it's still responsive.

Beans

Re: Impressed with ringtail nvidia 310.14

I have just reinstalled 12.10 and used the nvidia 310.19 driver and the latest 3.7 kernel from the mainline ppa and the performance is also significantly improved.

if one of the 3.7 kernel updates resolve my gpu lockup/freezing issues i will be moving ubuntu up to main distro.I will keep using ubuntu for a couple of weeks and fingers crossed no issues.

Beans

Re: Impressed with ringtail nvidia 310.14

Glad to hear things are improving on this end of things. Fortunately I've never had freeze ups with any of my experiences on Ubuntu.

I did feel a bit of a lag in performance though when Unity first came out...

Quote Originally Posted by nuttzo31 View Post
    I have just reinstalled 12.10 and used the nvidia 310.19 driver and the latest 3.7 kernel from the mainline ppa and the performance is also significantly improved.

if one of the 3.7 kernel updates resolve my gpu lockup/freezing issues i will be moving ubuntu up to main distro.I will keep using ubuntu for a couple of weeks and fingers crossed no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast