Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recover LVM

Beans

Re: Recover LVM

Quote Originally Posted by darkod View Post
    I'm not sure I understood correctly. You are talking about moving the same disks from one machine to another?

Simply connect the disks into the new machine and activate the LVM with the already mentioned:
    sudo vgchange -ay

That's all. The LVs with all data will be available.

If the OS is actually onto the LVM you would need do few more steps but the principle is the same. If the LVM is only for data, no OS, then only moving the disks and doing the vgchange should be enough.
    0 lvms available. Physical extent allocated is 0. It is messed up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Sam1994 View Post
    0 lvms available. Physical extent allocated is 0. It is messed up
    We agree on that. It seems it got messed up sometime during the export/import.

My previous post was about how would I move disks with LVM to another machine. I wouldn't use any export/import, only moving the disks and reusing them again in the new machine.

As for your current situation, it sounds like there is nothing much that can be done. Nothing that I know about.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans

Hi

You are missing my point. I've tried this. The volume group shows, but when I perform the defacto method for importing I get

No logical volumes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, there seems to be a serious misunderstanding. When you use terms like export and import, that means actually doing an export and import procedures.

What I am talking about is simply activating existing LVM devices with vgchange which I do not consider as import operation. You are not exporting anything, and not importing anything.

In your very first post you actually said you used vgimport, which is not what I am talking about.

Right now, doing vgchange could be pointless if the vgexport/vgimport procedure didn't transfer the data as you expected, right? And it obviously didn't.

If you did have the original disks moved to a new machine, vgchange would be enough to get the LVM device going, I'm sure of that. That's what I am talking about. But you don't have them any more.

The export/import messed you up somehow.

Look what this article says: The export/import procedure is NOT to move the data, it is to simply block the LVM from being used until you move it. But you DO physically need to move the disks to another machine. Is that what you did?
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/reci...gtonewsys.html
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12