Thread: True Combat Elite Install

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

True Combat Elite Install

TRYING TO RUN ON WINE (because, for some reason, the windows game works faster on wine than the native linux version does)
    I installed Wolfenstein and pasted the cqb folders and patch. The only problem is, I do not know how to create the shortcut to start the game. Here is the info from the README:
    /////////////////////////////////////
    Initially start TC:CQB like this or use the included autoexec.cfg:

DriveName:\PathToWET\ET.exe +set fs_game cqbtest +set com_soundMegs 64 +set com_hunkMegs 256 +set com_zoneMegs 64 +set s_khz 44 +set r_maxpolyverts 16384 +set r_maxpolys 4096

,e.g.,

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" +set fs_game cqbtest +set com_soundMegs 64 +set com_hunkMegs 256 +set com_zoneMegs 64 +set s_khz 44 +set r_maxpolyverts 16384 +set r_maxpolys 4096

Expert users might alternatively change their profile (etconfig.cfg) accordingly
    ////////////////////////////////////

can someone tell me how to create the aforementioned shortcut?

!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I windows installed True Combat: Elite through wine. Afterward, there were shortcuts on my desktop that would run True Combat: Elite. I opened up that shortcut (whose name was "tcetest.desktop"), renamed it "cqbtest.desktop", and opened it up in a text editor. Following the syntax used in this shortcut, I copied in the text from the readme and modified it to fit the syntax the shortcut was using. I hope it works and will get back to the community on this soon.
    !!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The CQB Community is dead, so I play Elite now.
    Last edited by Joon Lee; November 23rd, 2012 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro

Re: True Combat Elite Install

See update above
    Last edited by Joon Lee; November 21st, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Update

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Joon Lee View Post
    TRYING TO RUN ON WINE (because, for some reason, the windows game works faster on wine than the native linux version does)
    I installed Wolfenstein and pasted the cqb folders and patch. The only problem is, I do not know how to create the shortcut to start the game. Here is the info from the README:
    /////////////////////////////////////
    Initially start TC:CQB like this or use the included autoexec.cfg:

DriveName:\PathToWET\ET.exe +set fs_game cqbtest +set com_soundMegs 64 +set com_hunkMegs 256 +set com_zoneMegs 64 +set s_khz 44 +set r_maxpolyverts 16384 +set r_maxpolys 4096

,e.g.,

"C:\Program Files\Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory\ET.exe" +set fs_game cqbtest +set com_soundMegs 64 +set com_hunkMegs 256 +set com_zoneMegs 64 +set s_khz 44 +set r_maxpolyverts 16384 +set r_maxpolys 4096

Expert users might alternatively change their profile (etconfig.cfg) accordingly
    ////////////////////////////////////

can someone tell me how to create the aforementioned shortcut?

!!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I windows installed True Combat: Elite through wine. Afterward, there were shortcuts on my desktop that would run True Combat: Elite. I opened up that shortcut (whose name was "tcetest.desktop"), renamed it "cqbtest.desktop", and opened it up in a text editor. Following the syntax used in this shortcut, I copied in the text from the readme and modified it to fit the syntax the shortcut was using. I hope it works and will get back to the community on this soon.
    Have you enabled the Playdeb.net repository for your True Combat: Elite installation? It's optimised for Ubuntu, and should get you excellent performance.

Check out:
    http://www.playdeb.net/software/True%20Combat%20Elite

And how to enable the repository:
    http://www.playdeb.net/updates/Ubunt...how_to_install
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro

I havent, and for now dont feel like reinstalling, but the game runs smoothly anyway so I dont think any more optimization is needed.

Is there a large amount of optimization done, however? If so, then that would be a great reason for me to reinstall.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Joon Lee View Post
    I havent, and for now dont feel like reinstalling, but the game runs smoothly anyway so I dont think any more optimization is needed.

Is there a large amount of optimization done, however? If so, then that would be a great reason for me to reinstall.
    It's not huge, but if you were looking for every bit of performance increase, might be nice. Totally should add the PPA for future game installs though, as its updated for more regularly than the vanilla PPAs for games.
    Holding a LAN party? Check out LAN Party Mania (detailed LAN information for games)
    http://lanpartymania.com

Beans
    Distro

Ok. Thanks for the info. I will remember this if I ever get frustrated by performance!