Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Lightwight and easy to use distro for relative

Beans

Re: Lightwight and easy to use distro for relative

I don't know what he's using the distro for, but...I have my 70 year-old mother set up with the minimal desktop install of Scientific Linux 6.3. It's a Red Hat clone that uses Gnome 2. Not the latest software, but it's light on resources and very stable once I got it set up. My goal was a distro with as little tech support from me as possible! So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    I don't know what he's using the distro for, but...I have my 70 year-old mother set up with the minimal desktop install of Scientific Linux 6.3. It's a Red Hat clone that uses Gnome 2. Not the latest software, but it's light on resources and very stable once I got it set up. My goal was a distro with as little tech support from me as possible! So far, so good.
    Fuduntu: kernel 3.6, very recent software, and GNOME 2. Also light on resources, and power friendly.

[ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans

Linux Mint Debain Xfce, Manjaro Linux Xfce, Fuduntu (Gnome 2), Vector Linux and (my fav) Xubuntu 12.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fuduntu View Post
    Fuduntu: kernel 3.6, very recent software, and GNOME 2. Also light on resources, and power friendly.

Very interesting. Haven't heard anything bad about this distro.

Beans

Very interesting. Haven't heard anything bad about this distro.
    My only minor criticisms are the "rolling release" updates and the lack of Gnome 3, but those fall into the category of "feature, not a bug" are not deal-breakers for me, therefore I happily use Fuduntu on my EEE netbook and recommend it to others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    My only minor criticisms are the "rolling release" updates and the lack of Gnome 3, but those fall into the category of "feature, not a bug" are not deal-breakers for me, therefore I happily use Fuduntu on my EEE netbook and recommend it to others.
    Is a rolling release better for less sophisticated users, like my mother? I've got her SL set to auto update. She won't go to the next major release, but I'm happy with the current edition, which is set for support thru (I think) 2017.

Beans

Is a rolling release better for less sophisticated users, like my mother? I've got her SL set to auto update. She won't go to the next major release, but I'm happy with the current edition, which is set for support thru (I think) 2017.
    I personally do not recommend rolling release for most users in most cases (although as I mentioned I do nevertheless use Fuduntu on 1 of my computers, because it is such a nice netbook distro). I like a nice stable system that is the same today as it was yesterday. An older user is less likely to view perfectly functional 2-3 year old software as "antiquated" in my opinion.

We have a pretty thorough QA process and try to only introduce stable updates. We are in the business of providing a stable desktop, so we try to strive to achieve that using a waterfall development model.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345