Thread: Best Linux for laptop

Beans

Best Linux for laptop

i want to know which Linux is best for an old laptop
    duo core intel processor from 3 years ago
    1 gb ram
    1.4ghz
    inbuilt graphics
    Ubuntu is just too slow so got any ideas for a good lightweight Linux or something that can run well on these spec

Beans

Re: Best Linux for laptop

Xubuntu or Lubuntu, Mint XFCE, Crunchbang, Elementary OS Beta, Debian XFCE or LXDE, Puppy Linux (for the ultimate lightweight distro). There are lots of distros suited to low spec equipment.

Upgrading your RAM is a good (and relatively inexpensive) way to improve overall performance.

Beans

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Depends what you want. Assuming you are looking for an Ubuntu derivative (which may not be the case):

If you want a "modern" desktop OS, I'd suggest Elementary OS. It is currently only in beta, but appears very stable to me. I run it on my Dell Mini (1GB RAM, original Intel Atom), which is probably comparable to your old laptop (perhaps even slower - single core Atom).

If you want something that resembles Windows XP with a traditional panel and menu system, Lubuntu is a good option. I substituted Lubuntu 12.04 with Elementary, but that was personal choice rather than because Lubuntu isn't a good OS.

PhilGil has given lots more options (all appropriate). If you have the bandwidth and a USB stick, you could try them all... At least google each one's website and look at their desktop appearances. Any of them will run suitably on your hardware, although some will be marginally faster than others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mythic97 View Post
    1 gb ram
    1.4ghz
    inbuilt graphics
    Ubuntu is just too slow so got any ideas for a good lightweight Linux or something that can run well on these spec
    I have an Acer Aspire 8920G with an Intel Core 2 Duo cpu: the laptop is now about 5 years old. I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 with Gnome Classic and my laptop is still pretty fast.

I think it's just Unity that is a resource hog for older computers.

Install Gnome Classic:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install gnome-panel

Beans
    Distro

That's pretty dead on the same specs I have on my lappy, and I run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS no problem.

Beans

Well first off I would upgrade the ram. It's pretty cheap nowadays. Secondly depends on what you want. For max performance I would start with a ground up Arch install. It's relatively simple if you know how to read and follow directions. On the other hand if you want it up and running really quick lubunu,xubuntu,crunchbang,debian xfce,mint debian,mint xfce all good choices.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mythic97 View Post
    1 gb ram
    1.4ghz
    inbuilt graphics
    That's not really a old laptop. Either way I would upgrade the ram and install Xubuntu or Manjaro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Well first off I would upgrade the ram. It's pretty cheap nowadays. Secondly depends on what you want. For max performance I would start with a ground up Arch install. It's relatively simple if you know how to read and follow directions. On the other hand if you want it up and running really quick lubunu,xubuntu,crunchbang,debian xfce,mint debian,mint xfce all good choices.
    The problem with RAM for the O.P.s machine may be that it requires DDR2, not DDR3 (current production). DDR2 isn't the bargain that DDR3 is though it's readily available. Are there core2 duo systems that use DDR3? I have a similar spec Thinkpad only with 2 GB RAM. Just doing web browsing etc. it seldom goes over 500 MB. RAM usage. I suspect Lubuntu would run very well indeed on the O.P.s machine. I have a 32 bit Lubuntu install running on a PIII w/ 512 MB. RAM. I don't believe I've seen over 300 MB. RAM usage and very little swap used. I generally don't set up a swap file/partition with 2 GB. RAM or more but I certainly would with 1 GB. just to be safe.

Beans
    Distro

It is dependent on what your habits are. I always close the programs, if I don't need them anymore during the next couple of minutes. Normally I have the following programs active; Thunderbird Mail, Skype, Conky and one or two programs that I am actively using. If you do that you could use Ubuntu 12.04 without any problems.

You could use Xubuntu or Lubuntu, it would give you 200-400MB more available memory, because the desktop software is smaller.
    Desktop: P-IV 3.2gHz, RAM= 1.5GB, Disk=80GB+500GB, LCD=22", Bought 2012 $90
    File Server: P-III 650mHz, RAM = 384MB, Disks 240 + 300GB, Bought 2005 $60
    File Server HP Vectra VL8i SFF, 2 cables connected: Ethernet and Power

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast