Thread: How would I create a fileshare without also sharing my internet connection?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

How would I create a fileshare without also sharing my internet connection?

This may have an obvious solution, however, it's not obvious to me! I would like to share files on my LAN with my next door neighbour, but not share my internet connection, as they have their own. It's likely that I'd only want to share one folder, but I'd also like the ability to share as many folders as I like within my own LAN.

I've done various searches, but have found nothing that addresses this problem. I would think it's 'doable' I just don't know how.
    Nid yw Anarchiaeth am anrhefn a chwal, ond am Ryddid, Cyfrifoldeb a Threfn
    Anarchy isn't about chaos and disorder, it's about Freedom, Responsibility and Order.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How would I create a fileshare without also sharing my internet connection?

My son and I use Dropbox. We have a folder only he and I share. We both add items to it and we usually email when something new and exciting has been added. I also have a public folder so I can give a link to items within. It is in the Ubuntu repos.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/58267392/Ho...c%20folder.txt
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

or ubuntuone you get 5 gig free with that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to have to agree that doing the dropbox or ubunto one is a much more secure way of doing this. Plus no pesky hardware setup!