Thread: Gcalctool 5.28.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Gcalctool 5.28.2

38 plus 41 divided by 2 equals 58.5? Did I miss a memo? Have mathematic operations changed? Does this program not support chain calculations? I was looking for $4.71 in my checking account. This could be the problem. Anyone had anything like this happen? I ask a lot of questions don't I? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
    Robert

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Gcalctool 5.28.2

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxBlue View Post
    38 plus 41 divided by 2 equals 58.5? Did I miss a memo? Have mathematic operations changed? Does this program not support chain calculations? I was looking for $4.71 in my checking account. This could be the problem. Anyone had anything like this happen? I ask a lot of questions don't I? Any comments appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
    Robert
    Most math engines and calculators work left to right, not through predetermined order of operations, and rely on you to set it up the right way.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ParadoxBlue View Post

Thanks for any help,
    Robert
    This is because of operator precedence in mathematics which is then used in programming languages. multiplication and division get precedence over addition and subtraction if no parenthesis are given so in your case
    38 + 41 / 2 has become 38 + (41 / 2) which is equal to 58.5

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post
    This is because of operator precedence in mathematics which is then used in programming languages. multiplication and division get precedence over addition and subtraction if no parenthesis are given so in your case
    38 + 41 / 2 has become 38 + (41 / 2) which is equal to 58.5
    +1

PEMDAS

Its gcalctool doing it right, and windows calculator (in basic mode) and most basic calculators doing it wrong. If you switch windows calculator to scientific mode it calculates in the same way gcalctool does.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's not so much that calculators are normally wrong as much as they normally assume that you're immediately performing some operation. For example, if you punch in 2 + 2, a normal calculator will immediately perform the operation. This is for the convenience of people doing tabulations. It looks as though Gnome Calculator is being developer-ized (that is, redesigned for the convenience of a more developer-oriented approach to doing calculations, as opposed to the way everyone else does it).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by pkadeel View Post
    This is because of operator precedence in mathematics
    +1
    Ask any high school student.

Irrespective of whether programming is involved, mathematics (e.g. as used in algebra etc) has always been this way, even without use of calculators.