Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remove all partitions not windows or ubuntu 12.10, including separate home partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Remove all partitions not windows or ubuntu 12.10, including separate home partit

Looks like swap came out smaller than the OP wanted, but that's not a deal-breaker. Rick, you could go in with gparted and expand the swap partition if you really wanted to. Better to do it right now than wait.

On the other hand, if it's not something that's going to keep you up at night, just let it ride. Not a big deal if you've got enough physical RAM and don't care about hibernating (or is it suspending?) the PC.

To be honest, I'm not sure what "enough" physical RAM is these days so that the OS doesn't try to write to the swap partition. Is it 2GB? 4GB?

Plus you can tell the system to avoid using swap by tweaking swappiness. Hey, here's a good article about the subject. I'll have to read it. Sheez, there are some complicated directions. I thought you could just push one partition aside and expand swap but looks like it's more complicated than that...

Towards the end of the article it mentions that swap is needed for hibernation. Hibernate, sleep, suspend, argh
    Last edited by Bartender; December 2nd, 2012 at 09:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Remove all partitions not windows or ubuntu 12.10, including separate home partit

[QUOTE=Bartender;12384719}Towards the end of the article it mentions that swap is needed for hibernation. Hibernate, sleep, suspend, argh[/QUOTE]

Yes, but hibernation is disabled by default in the last couple releases of Ubuntu, since it doesn't work right with all systems. Unless the OP plans to re-enable it, it doesn't need to be a consideration in swap.

I'm sitting on 6GB of both swap and RAM, and I don't think my swap ever goes above a few MB. (But then, maybe I don't tax my system enough.)
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

newb -
    Thanks for the update. Too often I reply with old news that's been true for years, but now changed, and I didn't get the memo.

Beans

Thanks guys.
    My Ubuntu has always been lightning fast.
    I needed this clean-up so I can speed up my Windows Vista O.S.
    I know. Delete it.
    But I still need it for QQ instant messenger.
    Wish I could expand Windows partition.
    Last edited by Rick Campbell; December 9th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123