Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576

Thread: Howto : GfxBoot ( Grub like suse )

Beans

Question Re: Howto : GfxBoot ( Grub like suse )

Im sorry to ressurect this thread but im in serious need of help, im in the process of making a multiboot usb so naturally i went for the grub4dos (latest version) everything is working nicely but then i found out about gfxmenu so i wanted a cool looking gui, so i got the cpio tool so I can extract the archives and everything but one thing bothers me, why isnt there a gfxboot.cfg file in every gfxmenu archive, im concerned about this because i want to set (for instance) how many entries is shown and i want to hide help, language button and show reboot and poweroff button also on some archives i downloaded the timer is not working although the timeout is set in the menu.lst file. As for the gfxboot.cfg i added a default one to the archives I found which were missing it, repackaged it but there are help and language buttons (F1 F2 shortcuts) as if i didnt specify it in the gfxboot.cfg, it is as if the file is ignored.

Thanks in advance,
    xDoomsDayx

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Howto : GfxBoot ( Grub like suse )

bumpity

Beans

Re: Howto : GfxBoot ( Grub like suse )

This works on 11.04, right? (also, NEC-C-C-CRO!!

Beans

It still works with 11.04.

Beans

Hi all. I'm trying to get gfxboot working but I obviously have no idea what I'm doing. I got grub-gfxboot_0.97-11_amd64.deb and I'm trying to install that but when I did I got the message:

shin@shin-laptop:/media/Data/Ubuntu Downloads$ sudo dpkg -i grub-gfxboot_0.97-11_amd64.deb
    (Reading database ... 172460 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking grub-gfxboot (from grub-gfxboot_0.97-11_amd64.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing grub-gfxboot_0.97-11_amd64.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/sbin/grub-install', which is also in package grub-pc 0:1.98-1ubuntu12
    dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    grub-gfxboot_0.97-11_amd64.deb

I have no idea what any of that means.. any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

P.S. I hate it when I get stuck on the first step lol

Beans

Tutorials to install grub-gfxboot are old (2006). Several tools have since changed. Gfxboot is a modification of grub-legacy and I have not seen any new Debian package since 2009 (0.97-48), although the development seems to be maintained on OpenSuse.
    The archive you're trying to install is in conflict with your current version of grub (grub-pc = grub2). You need to remove grub-pc before. Using gdebi instead dpkg to install a downloaded package may have showed you a more "user-friendly" error...
    When I wrote it worked on Ubuntu 11.04, I should have added "since I installed it three years ago (and I have not modified it ever since)". Now with grub2 being the default boot manager, I don't know if you can downgrade to grub-gfxboot. Given your message, you don't seem to be familiar with Linux, so I suggest you to try BURG instead of grub-gfxboot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kno View Post
    It's hdc because grub is setup on /dev/hdc1 (your 3rd hdd) with Ubuntu

Yes, but I don't find many message.xyz on the net...
    Is it possible to create simple images as backgrounf for that ?

Page 76 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2666747576