Thread: How To: Build HPTalx (com program for HP 48, 49, and 50 series calculators)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

How To: Build HPTalx (com program for HP 48, 49, and 50 series calculators)

I recently tried to build this program and ran into a few problems so I thought I would write this brief tutorial to help others avoid the problems that I ran into.

The following procedure has been verified with HPTalx 1.3.1a and Ubuntu 8.04 (both 32 and 64 bit).

1) Download and extract the latest version of HPTalx.
    http://hptalx.sourceforge.net/download.shtml

2) Extract the file, then open a terminal window and cd to the extracted directory (hptax-1.3.1a)

3) Get packages needed to build HPTalx
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libxml2-dev
    4) Get packages needed to run HPTalx once compiled
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libsocksd openbsd-inetd ckermit
    5) Run configure script
    Code:
    sudo ./configure
    6) Build HPTalx
    Code:
    sudo make
    7) Install HPTalx
    Code:
    sudo make install
    8) Load hp4x module
    Code:
    modprobe hp4x
    9) Launch HPTalx
    Code:
    hptalx
    10) Click File-Setup and configure HPTalx for your connection interface

11) Put your calculator in server mode (see calculator manual or HPTalx manual/README)

12) Click Connect-Connect (or Ctrl-B) to connect to your calculator.

Beans

Re: How To: Build HPTalx (com program for HP 48, 49, and 50 series calculators)

Man, you rock! Thank you for creating this! Here it is 4 years later and I'm trying to connect to my old HP48GX calculator with a funky USB-Serial adapter cable.

Everything you wrote worked except in my version of ubuntu (Natty) I had to use libsocksd0 instead of libsocksd.

Also, the modprobe command returned an error but the process still worked in the end.

Oh...by the way...if someone reading this needs to install a USB-serial adapter there are excellent instructions here:

http://blog.mypapit.net/2008/05/how-...in-ubuntu.html

Thanks again!