Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transferring from Windows to Linux as a programmer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Transferring from Windows to Linux as a programmer

Quote Originally Posted by matanc1 View Post
    Did any of you do any sort of project to get yourself more familiar?
    The main thing for me was to simply start using Linux as a matter of course. I used to have a SuSe install, then found Ubuntu around 7.10 or so. I had a dual-boot on the old desktop, and still do on the Laptop as I need windows for a couple of work-specific programs like my audio analyzer. Anyway, the breakthrough was to stop trying to learn Linux whilst using windows to do "real" work, and start using Linux as a matter of course and only go back to windows when I was stuck on something that had to urgently get finished yesterday. Now, I never start windows on the laptop or the netbook unless it is for one of those specifically work related programs. I always fell sorry for my laptop when I am at work... My desktop has no windows install.
    Michael

Beans

Thanks for all the responses guys
    So since I'm a CS student and I have so C++ projects this semster, is there anything that you'd recommend to learn about Ubuntu/Linux regarding coding? I've been told to give Vim a try, which I intend to do this weekend. Anything else?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matanc1 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses guys
    So since I'm a CS student and I have so C++ projects this semster, is there anything that you'd recommend to learn about Ubuntu/Linux regarding coding? I've been told to give Vim a try, which I intend to do this weekend. Anything else?
    Use a IDE that you're comfortable with. Since I'm at an introduction course to programming(Java) I want as little help as possible, so I try to learn "the hard way". Therefore gedit seems to work fine with me, or just simply nano if I have to ssh into the university's network. I also liked Geany(http://www.geany.org/) alot, since you can compile and run the program inside Geany. On the other hand I have learned that more experienced programmers tend you use more "intellectual" IDE's, in example Eclipse.

If I should give you some easy guidelines it would be
    • Learn by doing
    • Use the man pages for information about programs.
    • Use this forum or #ubuntu(or programming specific channels) on irc.freenode.org for questions. Be humble and polite and you would be amazed how willing people are to help you. Good luck

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

or codeblocks. cross platform and be used for several programming languages. Depending on what your classes are using you may find it impossible to do the work - in example: if the class is using Microsoft development tools then such things as developing a gui would be very different.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12