Thread: AppArmor, Firefox, and plug-ins

Beans

AppArmor, Firefox, and plug-ins

Q: Does AppArmor protect Firefox from the installation and/or activation of un-wanted plug-ins?

particularly this new facebook thing?

Q: How would we evaluate the AppArmor profile for Firefox in this regard ?

note: I'm running the profile provided by Canonical.

Beans

Re: AppArmor, Firefox, and plug-ins

Quote Originally Posted by mike acker View Post
    Q: Does AppArmor protect Firefox from the installation and/or activation of un-wanted plug-ins?

Q: How would we evaluate the AppArmor profile for Firefox in this regard ?

note: I'm running the profile provided by Canonical.
    Recent versions of Firefox will inform you of attempts to install new plug-ins whether you use Apparmor or not.

AFAIK, the Facebook thing isn't on by default. If it is, you can turn it off from about:config. Enter social in the search bar of the about:config page and ensure that the relevant entries are set to false.
    Code:
    social.active;false
    social.enabled;false
    etc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Recent versions of Firefox will inform you of attempts to install new plug-ins whether you use Apparmor or not.

AFAIK, the Facebook thing isn't on by default. If it is, you can turn it off from about:config. Enter social in the search bar of the about:config page and ensure that the relevant entries are set to false.
    Code:
    social.active;false
    social.enabled;false
    etc
    thanks . as a fugitive from that other o/s i must say i did not appreciate it when sites attempted un-wanted browser updates .

hopefully the only way Firefox gets a plug-in is when the owner selects tools | add ons and selects an update .

this is critical . a hidden update could be re-directing browser activity without the knowlege of the owner and that could be just a detrimental a a root kit .

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

thanks . as a fugitive from that other o/s i must say i did not appreciate it when sites attempted un-wanted browser updates .

hopefully the only way Firefox gets a plug-in is when the owner selects tools | add ons and selects an update .

this is critical . a hidden update could be re-directing browser activity without the knowlege of the owner and that could be just a detrimental a a root kit .
    If you are using Firefox from the repositories, auto-updating is turned off. The only way to update Firefox, is to update it using update-manager, the Software Centre, synaptic or from the command line. No hidden updates here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    If you are using Firefox from the repositories, auto-updating is turned off. The only way to update Firefox, is to update it using update-manager, the Software Centre, synaptic or from the command line. No hidden updates here.
    thanks, pard, I appreciate that note.

I did go and check the switches as directed by the earlier post: they are set properly (both=false)

the next question: can a script access that same page and turn the switches on ?

AppArmor should prevent this (I am running Firefox with AppArmor on, using the profile provided by Canonical ) .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If you're really paranoid about malicious scripts, you should install NoScript. It gives you per-site permissions for scripts, and it also protects you from certain exploits.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What new facebook thing?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by SlugSlug View Post
    What new facebook thing?
    Firefox 17 has a new feature that integrates Facebook directly into the browser. Before anyone screams "PRIVACY INVASION!!1!!1", it's only a plugin that is activated only if the user chooses to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu