Thread: New Memory Leakage?

Beans

[Solved] New Memory Leakage?

Has anyone else noticed significant memory leakage with the 3.7 kernel and raring packages?

Now, I don't usually panic when I see my RAM usage get high; I generally assume that it's just doing disk caching. However, in the last week or two not only have I seen my RAM in the 90%+ range, but this morning I noticed my swap file was getting used as well.

I don't believe this should be happening on a system with 12GB of RAM and hardly nothing running. I did not notice this at all when running quantal or previous versions.

EDIT: I think Milos_SD below has identified the correct bug. Glad to know it's already been identified.
    Last edited by 3vi1; November 26th, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Solved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New Memory Leakage?

is it on a fresh install ? or an old one rolling ?

clean, as much you can, the system and use htop to know which app/process is eating memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It is not used by any app/process. It is a bug with incorrect NR_FREE_PAGES accounting. It is fixed in new 3.7-rc7 kernel.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...18ee0dc24c3386

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Milos_SD View Post
    It is not used by any app/process. It is a bug with incorrect NR_FREE_PAGES accounting. It is fixed in new 3.7-rc7 kernel.

For which to get we will have to wait for mainline to recover or proposed, if we are lazy enough to compile...
    I know (and You know) that I do not have proper excuse since I successfully did that several times...
    Last edited by zika; November 26th, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by 3vi1 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed significant memory leakage with the 3.7 kernel and raring packages?

Now, I don't usually panic when I see my RAM usage get high; I generally assume that it's just doing disk caching. However, in the last week or two not only have I seen my RAM in the 90%+ range, but this morning I noticed my swap file was getting used as well.

I don't believe this should be happening on a system with 12GB of RAM and hardly nothing running. I did not notice this at all when running quantal or previous versions.

Funny you mentioned this. I am assuming it is firefox. What happened to me thismorning is that I have another system that has been running on my KVM in the backgorund, haven't checked it for a few days , but it is always running. I am using Oneiric on it for utility purposes. When I checked into it early thismorning it was very sluggish and almost non-responsive. The culprit was firefox taking up almost 600Mibs of RAM (and a large chunk of swap was being used also) . I created a post here about ff with Raring. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I am NOT saying that it is firefox , but , from what I have seen, it appears that there is something there.

Did you check that out ? Are you using ff?

*edit*

Whoops .. ok .. just seen where you said you are no using any apps.
    Last edited by ventrical; November 26th, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Milos_SD View Post

You're right...
    Code:
    :~$ uname -a
    Linux ********* 3.7.0-999-generic #201211260421 SMP Mon Nov 26 09:21:51 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    :~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3954       1250       2703          0         56        696
    -/+ buffers/cache:        497       3456
    Swap:         4093          0       4093
    :~$ uname -a
    Linux ********* 3.7.0-030700rc7-generic #201211252135 SMP Mon Nov 26 02:35:53 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    :~$ free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          3954        980       2974          0         42        626
    -/+ buffers/cache:        311       3642
    Swap:         4093          0       4093
    Last edited by zika; November 27th, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.