Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: installing wine without internet connection

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

installing wine without internet connection

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to install wine on my ubuntu, but I don't have internet connection in ubuntu. I need wine to install my internet provider's software to connect to DSL.
    I downloaded the tar ball, extracted it with command "tar". But, the "configure" file inside the archive is not executable. I tried "sudo chmod +x configure" but it didn't help. The same is true with the "wineinstall" file.
    Since I don't havr internet in ubuntu, I couldn't use apt-get or the like.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
    iboontoo

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: installing wine without internet connection

I think you are going to find that installing a windows program for accessing the net in wine is not going to work for you. That software is only known within wine, not on your entire linux installation.

Perhaps you could tell us more specifically what you need to do:

- do you connect to the DSL modem via a hardwire or wireless?

- is the DSL modem a USB dongle?

- what is the make of the DSL modem?

- what DSL service do you need to connect to?

Usually these things can all be configured in native linux. The windows program in wine is not going to work for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

good to know that!

- do you connect to the DSL modem via a hardwire or wireless?
    hardwire

- is the DSL modem a USB dongle?
    dsl modem
    - what is the make of the DSL modem?
    sphairon turbolink IAD
    - what DSL service do you need to connect to?
    the provider is Alice dsl in Germany.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm not familiar with either, but that's because I live in the central north area of the U.S. and we just have U.S. "branded" equipment and services here. However, I'm sure it is going to be very similar. If you have the modem connect via hardwire (by cat5 I hope, not USB?) what happens when you try to connect? I'm sure there will need to be domain servers, userid and password, etc., all set up. This can be done in Ubuntu from what I've seen fairly easily, but since I'm no expert on that, I'll leave it to someone with connecting to DSL service experience to help you. I'll try PM'ing a couple a see if they can help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Connect the modem to your machine then run
    Code:
    lsusb
    if you attach it by USB or
    Code:
    sudo lshw -c network
    if attached by other means.

One or other, or maybe both, should tell us what chipset is used and give a clue where to go for drivers etc etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Do you have a user guide for the Turbolink? That should tell you how to enter the modem/router's set up program to put in the details of your internet service provider.

I found this for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309044

I was looking for a user guide in the form of a PDF document that you could download. May be one of these links will give you the information you need.

I am assuming that the issue is your need to get the modem connecting to the ISP. With a cable connection from Ubuntu to the modem you should not have any problems. But if the modem is not connecting to the ISP then you will not have an Internet connection.

In regards to my router the user guide said this:

Open your web browser and go to Http://192.168.1.254
    Enter admin as the Username
    Enter the Serial Number as the Password.

You can find the Serial Number on the Setup Sticker included with this Thomson Gateway and on the bottom of the router itself.
    May be you have something similar for your router.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; November 26th, 2012 at 02:55 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

the output of
    Code:
    sudo lshw -c network
    is
    Code:
     *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet
           vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: c0
           serial: f0:bf:97:8d:60:ac
           size: 100Mbit/s
           capacity: 1Gbit/s
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
           resources: irq:43 memory:f0100000-f013ffff ioport:2000(size=128)
      *-network DISABLED
           description: Wireless interface
           product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: cc:af:78:bd:95:3e
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-31-generic-pae firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:18 memory:f0000000-f000ffff
    by the way, I tried to set connection from within ubuntu. AFAIK there are at least 2 ways to do this. one is using the network connection gui, and one is to use /etc/network/interfaces. Are these the correct ways to solve this problem?
    I tried to copy the settings from windows connection to setup the connection in ubuntu, but there are problems.
    first, in windows there are IP address, subnet mask and dns servers, but no default gateway specified. and with these settings in ubuntu connection manager (or whatever it is called) it does not work. I use the username and password that my internet provider gave me but it doesn't connect.
    second problem is that the abovementioned ip address and dns server etc. change everytime I connect in windows.

And to make my problem clear, I have dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu, in windows I can connect to internet with the Alice software, but in ubuntu I cannot.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by iboontoo View Post
    the output of
    Code:
    sudo lshw -c network
    is
    Code:
     *-network               
           description: Ethernet interface
           product: AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           logical name: eth0
           version: c0
           serial: f0:bf:97:8d:60:ac
           size: 100Mbit/s
           capacity: 1Gbit/s
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
           configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl1c driverversion=1.0.1.0-NAPI duplex=full firmware=N/A latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100Mbit/s
           resources: irq:43 memory:f0100000-f013ffff ioport:2000(size=128)
      *-network DISABLED
           description: Wireless interface
           product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
           bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
           logical name: wlan0
           version: 01
           serial: cc:af:78:bd:95:3e
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
           configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.2.0-31-generic-pae firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
           resources: irq:18 memory:f0000000-f000ffff
    by the way, I tried to set connection from within ubuntu. AFAIK there are at least 2 ways to do this. one is using the network connection gui, and one is to use /etc/network/interfaces. Are these the correct ways to solve this problem?
    I tried to copy the settings from windows connection to setup the connection in ubuntu, but there are problems.
    first, in windows there are IP address, subnet mask and dns servers, but no default gateway specified. and with these settings in ubuntu connection manager (or whatever it is called) it does not work. I use the username and password that my internet provider gave me but it doesn't connect.
    second problem is that the abovementioned ip address and dns server etc. change everytime I connect in windows.

And to make my problem clear, I have dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu, in windows I can connect to internet with the Alice software, but in ubuntu I cannot.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    It seems you are missing the drivers for your networking card. Go to the manufactures web-site and download them to a disc/USB stick and install the drivers. That should do the trick. If it doesn't you may need to pull your laptop apart and make sure the networking card is attached right.
    Last edited by Shuudoushi; November 26th, 2012 at 08:03 PM. Reason: fixed grammer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The wired connection looks like it is fine - and the OP said they were using the wired connection to their DSL modem. It's the wireless side that isn't configured but they sounded like they weren't using that.

OP: are you talking about ALICE the programming tool, or ALICE the AI program? If ALICE the programming tool, everything I have found so far in searching the net is at least a couple of years old. Makes me wonder if this will even run with the current versions of ubuntu.
    Last edited by squakie; November 27th, 2012 at 01:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

@Squakie,

Alice is the name of my internet provider. they are in Germany, www.alice-dsl.de
    now they are merged into O2.

@all
    I still don't know what my problem is, let alone how to solve it.
    I tried to update the driver for my network adapter (atheros ar8131) but I couldn't. After I ran "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart,stop,start",... commands, I think I messed up my network configurations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast