Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elementary Luna Quantal...

Beans

Elementary Luna Quantal...and with an autohiding panel

Well, the Elementary devs are not going to release their own Luna in the foreseeable future--they are saying that their distro is not like any other and it must be without bugs to come out.

They even said, if I move Luna Beta 1 to Quantal and/or Raring, I would get updates etc.

So, I took the challenge and build "their" Luna with Quantal mini.iso and with their Quantal applications. I have only the Quantal base and Luna applications. I haven't even put in a wallpaper yet. It has the Pantheon greeter and only one session--Pantheon!

Now, my Quantal-Luna works superbly, with their applications.

I've been telling them that they should release "their" Luna, but they hide behind some "bugs."

Here are some screenshots of "my" Quantal-Luna.

By the way, this Quantal-Luna has the minimize button, but as a ghost on the left of the maximize button.

I am really thankful to the Elementary developers for such nice applications!

Good day!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 21st, 2012 at 06:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Elementary Luna Quantal...

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Well, the Elementary devs are not going to release their own Luna in the foreseeable future--they are saying that their distro is not like any other and it must be without bugs to come out.

They even said, if I move Luna Beta 1 to Quantal and/or Raring, I would get updates etc.

So, I took the challenge and build "their" Luna with Quantal mini.iso and with their Quantal applications. I have only the Quantal base and Luna applications. I haven't even put in a wallpaper yet. It has the Pantheon greeter and only one session--Pantheon!

Now, my Quantal-Luna works superbly, with their applications.

I've been telling them that they should release "their" Luna, but the hide behind some "bugs."

Here are some screenshots of "my" Quantal-Luna.

By the way, this Quantal-Luna has the minimize button, but as a ghost on the left of the maximize button.

I am really thankful to the Elementary developers for such nice applications!

Good day!
    As for the minimize button, its there but you can get it to show up if you install a new theme for it. What the minimize does is minimize an application to the dock. It would be cool to have a miniature window preview when an application is minimized though. Congratulations on your new eOS build!
    Last edited by NormanFLinux; November 19th, 2012 at 02:38 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    As for the minimize button, its there but you can get it to show up if you install a new theme for it. What the minimize does is minimize an application to the dock. It would be cool to have a miniature window preview when an application is minimized though. Congratulations on your new eOS build!
    Thank you!
    To have the miniature window preview, we have to change the dock to Awn. Plank is useless as it is not-configurable. I don't know, whether Docky has that ability. Luna doesn't have a 'window list" and plank is doing that work.

I wonder whether I could install Tint2, which I like very much. I am also pondering how to make the top panel auto hide. Once, i make a live CD out of my installation, I'd try to play with the Wingpanel files. I'd be quite happy to get rid of it and get the Slingshot to work with a dock/panel.

You know, when you are not a geek, but a user, you are free to think out of the box.

Happy experimenting, guys!

Ch

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chdslv View Post
    Thank you!
    To have the miniature window preview, we have to change the dock to Awn. Plank is useless as it is not-configurable. I don't know, whether Docky has that ability. Luna doesn't have a 'window list" and plank is doing that work.

I wonder whether I could install Tint2, which I like very much. I am also pondering how to make the top panel auto hide. Once, i make a live CD out of my installation, I'd try to play with the Wingpanel files. I'd be quite happy to get rid of it and get the Slingshot to work with a dock/panel.

You know, when you are not a geek, but a user, you are free to think out of the box.

Happy experimenting, guys!

Ch
    You could edit the org file to create an intell-hide setting for the wingpanel. If that doesn't work, you can delete it without effecting anything else on your system. Good luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    You could edit the org file to create an intell-hide setting for the wingpanel. If that doesn't work, you can delete it without effecting anything else on your system. Good luck!
    Which org file? Tell me how.

I was wondering about Gnome-Pie too.

Beans

i am going to freeze the the Quantal part of the Elementary OS Team's applications, so I won't get any "bugs" as they say all the time. What I have now are working superbly. Sometimes the new changes might be worse than the old ones.

Norman, which org file, were you talking about?

Good day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: Elementary Luna Quantal...

I too am interested in hiding the top panel.

Beans

Re: Elementary Luna Quantal...with an autohiding panel

Here are three screenshots with an autohiding panel.
    The WM is still Gala and Pantheon desktop is there too

I can now either get rid of Plank or keep it as the window list, or install Docky or something else. I don't want a dock/panel, which would pull in Gnome-shell etc. I installed Lxde for the moment, not be without a gui, if something goes wrong. Been working with my installation for some hours. I have frozen the Elementary OS Team's repos for the moment, not get any "bugs" that Team is so worried about.

My installation is not Beta, as Quantal is not Beta. If the Elementary OS Team's apps break, I'd use the "normal" ones. I'd test it for a while, rebrand it and then must find out how to upload it to Sourceforge.

Well, there is nothing much to rebrand as I started with Quantal mini.iso. Let's see how it goes...

Actually, I like the older Slingshot.
    The wallpaper is from Noobslab.

Good day!
    Last edited by Chdslv; November 22nd, 2012 at 07:51 AM.

Beans

Well, Plank had gone and Docky had come for the moment.
    And, the top panel is autohiding.

Beans

Here are some more screenshots.

I can now get rid of Plank, Docky or any such thing. I am wondering, whether to integrate Gnome-Pie without even the top panel.

The old Slingshot is very nice and very useful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast