Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HDHomeRun live TV can't lock, but recordings work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HDHomeRun live TV can't lock, but recordings work

I don't have one of these devices..
    The HDHomerun only works by IP address if the device is always given the same IP from DHCP server or the HDHomerun is setup with fixed static IP (or both).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun
    suggests using the unique device ID..

Have you configured that device with fixed IP?

Are you sharing the HDHomerun tuners with other applications outside of "connected" backend ?

Maybe the problems relate to the random tuner ordering on reboot.
    The soln to that is udev rules or modprobe options.

Are you using mythtv-setup to rearrange the tuners on a regular basis?

From a very limited use of udev rules:
    modprobe options are simple & readable but not very flexible.
    udev rules look more complicated than they are but have pedantic syntax

I would try to find a working example udev rule & use it as a template.
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

Interesting info here but don't blindly copy any cmds..
    http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13398
    Last edited by BicyclerBoy; November 28th, 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    I don't have one of these devices..
    The HDHomerun only works by IP address if the device is always given the same IP from DHCP server or the HDHomerun is setup with fixed static IP (or both).

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun
    suggests using the unique device ID..

Have you configured that device with fixed IP?

Are you sharing the HDHomerun tuners with other applications outside of "connected" backend ?

Maybe the problems relate to the random tuner ordering on reboot.
    The soln to that is udev rules or modprobe options.

Are you using mythtv-setup to rearrange the tuners on a regular basis?

From a very limited use of udev rules:
    modprobe options are simple & readable but not very flexible.
    udev rules look more complicated than they are but have pedantic syntax

I would try to find a working example udev rule & use it as a template.
    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Device_Filenames_and_udev

Interesting info here but don't blindly copy any cmds..
    http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13398
    The devices has a fixed IP based on the MAC in my router...as does basically everything in my network.

The random tuner loading will affect some devices, but it will affect live tv the same as a scheduled recording. When that problem occurs, it is easily noticed and fixable. This is why I use the symbolic links to point to the devices. I've been doing this for some time. I did setup udev rules a while back, but it is a little bit of a pain each time I re-install and found that symbolic links gave me the same satisfactory result.

I only have to re-arrange the device's in the backend setup if I don't have udev or symbolic links setup to properly deal with an otherwise random loading of the devices.

With all of that being said, the HDHomeRun is not a /dev, but rather setup as an IP. I know that you know that, but for clarification, messing with the udev or symbolic links for the devices isn't going to help the situation with the HDHomeRun live tv because it isn't a video "dev". However, I appreciate the suggestion of udev.

In any case, the live TV tuning of the HDHomeRun is just not locking, whereas a scheduled recording seems to work fine...on both tuners no less.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidstoll View Post
    The devices has a fixed IP based on the MAC in my router...as does basically everything in my network.

The random tuner loading will affect some devices, but it will affect live tv the same as a scheduled recording. When that problem occurs, it is easily noticed and fixable. This is why I use the symbolic links to point to the devices. I've been doing this for some time. I did setup udev rules a while back, but it is a little bit of a pain each time I re-install and found that symbolic links gave me the same satisfactory result.

I only have to re-arrange the device's in the backend setup if I don't have udev or symbolic links setup to properly deal with an otherwise random loading of the devices.

With all of that being said, the HDHomeRun is not a /dev, but rather setup as an IP. I know that you know that, but for clarification, messing with the udev or symbolic links for the devices isn't going to help the situation with the HDHomeRun live tv because it isn't a video "dev". However, I appreciate the suggestion of udev.

In any case, the live TV tuning of the HDHomeRun is just not locking, whereas a scheduled recording seems to work fine...on both tuners no less.
    FWIW my HDHR works on liveTv as well as recordings, did a stress test on the network and had 4 frontends doing livetv (I have 2 hdhrs).

It may be something to do with switching from the hdpvr to the hdhr.

What happens if you go hdpvr-->pci card--->hdhr?

You could also set the livetv starting channel to something from the hdhr (in mythtv-setup) and see if it works.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nickrout View Post
    FWIW my HDHR works on liveTv as well as recordings, did a stress test on the network and had 4 frontends doing livetv (I have 2 hdhrs).

It may be something to do with switching from the hdpvr to the hdhr.

What happens if you go hdpvr-->pci card--->hdhr?

You could also set the livetv starting channel to something from the hdhr (in mythtv-setup) and see if it works.
    when I go hdpvr-->pci card (analog)-->hdhr I do have the same issue.

Where is it that I set the start channel? I can't seem to find the setting?

Beans

Well, I seem to have the HDHomeRun working again. I had to remove it and re-add it, although, it just so happened I did it a couple of times as I was trying to sort out the order of which tuner starts with live tv first...but it is working now!

Any ideas on how to change with tuner is chosen at start?

I changed the priority numbers all around. I even loaded one HDHomeRun tuner before and one after adding the HDPVR as a tuner.

Beans

My recommendation is that you don't use the DVB driver to configure the HD Homerun and instead use the MythTV direct interface to the device. I found the random loading of the drivers can cause lockups and lost recordings and/or failure to tune a live TV channel. The problem is magnified greatly if you have more than one hdhomerun or another DVB device in the BE.

Silicon Dust is aware of the issue and says they might release an update to fix it, but so far there is no date.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by topcat5 View Post
    My recommendation is that you don't use the DVB driver to configure the HD Homerun and instead use the MythTV direct interface to the device. I found the random loading of the drivers can cause lockups and lost recordings and/or failure to tune a live TV channel. The problem is magnified greatly if you have more than one hdhomerun or another DVB device in the BE.

Silicon Dust is aware of the issue and says they might release an update to fix it, but so far there is no date.
    I thought I was using the MythTV (backend) interface to configure the device...I guess I need clarification.

Beans

I couldn't tell from your post. One of the posts above had instructions for installing the kernal drivers for the HDHomerun. If you do this then the device is configured like a DVB device instead of a HDHomerun device.

If using DVB your HD Homerun tuner would appear as something like
    /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
    If using the Myth driver then it appears as
    HDHOMERUN : nnnnannn-0

It's the DVB case that causes the issue if you have more than one hardware tuner configured.

Beans

I couldn't tell from your post. One of the posts above had instructions for installing the kernal drivers for the HDHomerun. If you do this then the device is configured like a DVB device instead of a HDHomerun device.

It's the DVB case that causes the issue if you have more than one hardware tuner configured.
    There is no suggestion that he is using the hdhomerun dvb drivers. He has a separate dvb card.

Beans

Oh, ok, I see. No, the HDHomeRun is not a /dev/.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast