Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sony VAIO E Series Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot, EFI help

Beans

Sony VAIO E Series Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot, EFI help

Hello everyone Hope you guys had a Happy Thanksgiving...and Happy Black Friday shopping.

I did...just got a nice deal on this Sony Vaio E series laptop.

model:sve151J11L
    product name: SVE1512CXS

Came pre-installed with Windows 8 (64bit), as well as some sony-specific recovery-based partitions. I wanted to dual-boot with Ubuntu 12.10 (64bit).

HTML Code:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1384853/
    Windows 8 dual boot issues were apparently common, and online someone had said to use the windows boot manager to control grub (install grub to the linux root partition) and use a windows program to add it to the windows boot manager.

Well, that was the plan. After creating some free space, installing ubuntu (choosing the bootloader to install in Ubuntu's partition), i restart.

Windows 8 does not load.
    Code:
    error: can't find command 'drivemap'
    error: invalid EFI file path.
    It appears that the install had overwritten Windows' bootloader files, but the pastbin above states Grub is at /dev/sda7 (my ubuntu install partition)

Okay, so that failed. I tried to use boot-repair. Installed it as directed on the Ubuntu website. Ran it, using default settings. It creates
    Code:
     Windows UEFI loader
    Windows UEFI recovery
    and possibly
    Code:
    windows Recovery Environment (loader) (on /sda2)
    I cant remember if Grub or boot-repair made it.

None of the above new Grub options work. I would post the error messages, but, for example, "Windows UEFI loader" spits out a file name (very long one) and says it cant load the image. Grub will not stay on that screen long enough for me to type it. Is there a way to make Grub stay on an error message?

I am hoping we can create this dual-boot setup (and keeping Sony's recovery partitions and everything working as well).

If any more information is necessary, any clarifications, etc please let me know.

Thank you for any assistance.
    Shadowspectre

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Sony VAIO E Series Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot, EFI help

Quote Originally Posted by shadowspectre View Post
    I cant remember if Grub or boot-repair made it.
    The UEFI ones were created by Boot-Repair. The others by GRUB, and won't never work.

You are using a UEFI system with SecureBoot enabled.
    I updated Boot-Repair today for this situation, please update the boot-repair and boot-sav packages, then run the Recommended Repair and indicate the new URL that will appear.
    Then reboot and try all the UEFI entries.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Windows 8 dual boot issues were apparently common, and online someone had said to use the windows boot manager to control grub (install grub to the linux root partition) and use a windows program to add it to the windows boot manager.
    With the new UEFI installs that is about as wrong as it can be. I assume it refers to using EasyBCD to boot. But EasyBCD does not work with UEFI installs. Some with BIOS/MBR do use that, but generally we prefer grub2 boot loader as it is designed to multi-boot. Windows is only designed to boot Windows and EasyBCD is a workaround to make Windows work with other systems.

EasyBCD does not work with Windows 8
    http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11135
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Confession time.

Last night, I needed a working Windows 8. So i reformatted the harddrive, reinstalled it, etc.

After seeing your reply in the morning, I used windows to shrink the partition down a little. This left me with some Vaio partitions in front, then Windows 8, then free space, then Vaio Recovery Partition. I booted an Ubuntu Live CD, and switched the free space and Vaio Recovery Partition. Rebooting, the recovery Partition seemed fine.

I then rebooted the Live CD and installed Ubuntu with Updates enabled.
    However, last time, I chose the "do something else" option"
    This time, I chose the "install Ubuntu along-side Windows 8"

Everything seemed okay, but I restarted, and it booted directly into Windows 8.

I restarted, it did the same thing, so Grub didnt load.

I started up Ubuntu Live CD again. Used the site listed below to install and run Boot-Repair using recommended settings. It did the same things as last time, and the same Grub options, however none of the Windows-related ones work.

I installed Boot-Repair using this page:
    HTML Code:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    So, long story short...no luck.

new pastebin:
    HTML Code:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/1391025/
    Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    The UEFI ones were created by Boot-Repair. The others by GRUB, and won't never work.

You are using a UEFI system with SecureBoot enabled.
    I updated Boot-Repair today for this situation, please update the boot-repair and boot-sav packages, then run the Recommended Repair and indicate the new URL that will appear.
    Then reboot and try all the UEFI entries.
    I checked the Bios, using the Vaio software, and i found no option stating "SecureBoot". I don't doubt your findings, however, I am not sure how to turn it off.

With the new UEFI installs that is about as wrong as it can be. I assume it refers to using EasyBCD to boot. But EasyBCD does not work with UEFI installs. Some with BIOS/MBR do use that, but generally we prefer grub2 boot loader as it is designed to multi-boot. Windows is only designed to boot Windows and EasyBCD is a workaround to make Windows work with other systems.
    Yes, EasyBCD was the concept. Glad to know. So where should I be installing Grub to? The default looks like it maybe placed it back in /dev/sda7 (ubuntu location)....should it be in /dev/sda? or /dev/sda3 (efi)?

Thanks for the help from both of you

Beans

Well, it did create another entry
    Code:
    Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi
    Here are the error messages:

Windows EUFI Loader
    Code:
    Code:
    /EndEntire
    file path:  /ACPI(a0342d0, 0)/PCI(2, 1f) UnknownMessaging(12)/HD/3,363800, 82000, e00f17ce96589e4f, a9, 5d)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot)/(File(bootmgfwefi.bkp)/EndEntire
    error: cannot load image
    Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi
    Code:
    /EndEntire
    file path: /ACPI(a0341d0, 0)/PCI(2, 1f)/UnknownMessaging(12/HD(3,363800,8200,e00f17ce96589e4f, a9, 58)/File(\EFI\Boot)/File(bootx64.eti)/EndEntire
    Windows UEFI Recovery /EndEntire file path: /ACPI(a0341d0)PCI(2, 1f) UnknownMessaging(12)HD (1, 800, 82000, 26d4d12a461c5041, b9, 10)/File (\EFI\Microsoft\Boot)/File(bootmgfw.efi.bkp)/EndEntire error: cannot load image
    Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi Recovery
    Code:
    /EndEntire
    file path: /ACPI (20341do0, 0)/PCI (2,1f) /UnknownMessaging(12)/HD (1,800,82000, 26a4d12a461c5041, b9, 10)/FIle(\EFI\Boot)/File(bootx64.efi)/EndEntire
    I hope I didnt make too many errors copying this. I had to handwrite it, and then type my handwriting, so some spaces maybe be where they shouldnt be, and vice-versa. Hopefully, it might help get an idea of the problem. If you need a more accurate log, how do I go about finding that? Does Grub keep logs of these kind of errors?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So now can you boot Ubuntu UEFI from the GRUB menu, but all the Windows UEFI entries fail.

1) please look into your BIOS, especially the "boot order" screen, and tell us if you see a Windows entry. If yes, tell us if you can boot into Windows via this entry.

2) please run Boot-Repair --> Advanced options --> untick the "Backup and rename EFI files" --> tick the "Restore EFI backups" --> Apply.
    Indicate the new URL that will appear.
    Reboot, try the "Windows UEFI loader" entry, and tell us what you observe.

Beans

I went through the BIOS. No Windows in the Boot Order. However, I did find the settings for Secureboot.

I turned it off.
    Restarted....and was able to choose Windows.

However, I restarted again, and now it only goes to Windows. Grub no longer loaded.

I restarted, went into the BIOS and re-enabled SecureBoot. However, it did not bring Grub back.

I am now back in linux using a Live CD.

Should I follow the instructions in your post now? Or disable Secure-Boot and use a live cd to use Boot-Repair? Or should I try to play with any advanced SecureBoot settings to force it to load Grub?

Beans

And, I believe there is nothing labeled Ubuntu UEFI in grub (when it was up).

It was simply Ubuntu
    below was something along the lines of "advanced ubuntu settings".
    Since Ubuntu did boot when Grub was up, and my BIOS is set to UEFI, I believe it is still UEFI Ubuntu..just not labeled as such in Grub; if that's relevant for you at all

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

There should be two different menus.

One is booting into UEFI setting.
    From UEFI you should see both windows & ubuntu as boot options. Which ever you choose will be the default for rebooting. If you choose Windows it will just boot Windows.
    Then from the ubuntu option you get the grub menu which has Ubuntu, Windows, advanced options, etc.
    So if UEFI is defaulting to ubuntu, grub should get you the option to dual boot from its menu.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

After disabling the SecureBoot...there is no bootloader (Grub) menu at all. Re-enabling SecureBoot did not bring it back.

However, if SecureBoot is the problem for this dual-boot issue...would it be wise to disable it and use boot-repair? Or should we try to fix this problem while keeping Secure Boot enabled?
    Last edited by shadowspectre; November 27th, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast