Re: Sony VAIO E Series Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot, EFI help

Then please just attach a ZIP of the following 3 files:
    /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi.bkp
    /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi.bkp

(but keep a backup of your 25MB ZIP)

Beans

Turned SafeBoot on. Used the Live CD to go through the Boot-Repair dance again, and this time...everything works. I didnt check what Grub 2 had put in, only what you had requested!

Did you solve the mystery of SecureBoot and UEFI?

HTML Code:
    paste.ubuntu.com/1394309
    Last edited by shadowspectre; November 28th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Somewhat unrelated question.

You can only have one efi partition. In gparted it has the boot flag or in gdisk it shows gpt partition type ef00.

But you have efi boot files in two partitions and the sda1 looks like a vendor recovery (SONYSYS). Do you then have UEFI, or other instructions (or Sony hides) a way to change boot flag to make sda1 the efi boot partition just to boot into the recovery partition?
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Arrow Re: Sony VAIO E Series Windows 8/Ubuntu 12.10 Dual Boot, EFI help

Bad news: in your last log i see
    Code:
    SecureBoot disabled.
    Please don't change your BIOS settings, and boot into your installed Ubuntu, then install and run Boot-Repair --> "Create BootInfo" from there, and tell us the new URL that will appear.
    Last edited by YannBuntu; November 29th, 2012 at 12:18 AM.

Beans

There's an Assist Button which then gives you the ability to boot into that partition, I would assume it is hardcoded into some of the hardware....I have a feeling if I move that partition...the software would fail to work.

And YannBuntu....u just ruined my morning -,- Hahaha

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1395800/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by shadowspectre View Post
    There's an Assist Button which then gives you the ability to boot into that partition
    Good to know, thanks. Have you tried to boot into it (then cancelled) ?
    - if not, don't do it (because it may break access to Ubuntu)
    - if yes, Boot-Repair has also added 2 entries linked to your Recovery partition: "Windows UEFI recovery" and "Windows Boot UEFI bootx64.efi.bkp recovery", they should have the same effect.

And YannBuntu....u just ruined my morning -,- Hahaha
    Sorry i broke your dream, haha

This log also shows "SecureBoot disabled." (normal because it was also disabled in live-session).

ok. So now the challenge is to setup your UEFI firmware (~BIOS) so that when you use Boot-Repair--> Create BootInfo from your liveCD it shows "SecureBoot enabled". Good luck (if you don't find it, please show us pictures of your UEFI menus)

Beans

Email inbound with the requested pics.

According to my Bios, looking at the 3rd pic, "forcing SecureBoot" disabled, however that is not an editable option, only a status.

So now the challenge is to setup your UEFI firmware (~BIOS) so that when you use Boot-Repair--> Create BootInfo from your liveCD it shows "SecureBoot enabled".
    Ummm....would it not be better to have that when I run Linux off my harddrive? Can we just hope for a second that I wont have to load an Ubuntu Live CD?....startup time for it isnt...pretty....hahahaha.

And just outta curiousity, what are we trying to accomplish here? Glad I can help, and more than willing to, but i'm not sure what your goal is.....SecureBoot enabled while being able to boot into Ubuntu/Windows/Mac/BSD through Grub?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Email inbound with the requested pics.
    Thanks. I resized and attached them to this post so that other helpers can see.

what are we trying to accomplish here?
    Final goal is to be able to boot all your systems (Ubuntu & Windows) in SecureBoot mode. For this, you need first to enable SecureBoot in your firmware, then convert GRUB&Ubuntu to SecureBoot mode via Boot-Repair.

I am not sure how to enable SecureBoot in your firmware. Maybe "Restore factory defaults" would be a good start, but let's wait suggestions from other helpers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

okay I have the Live CD ready, so on your "Go!".

And since I have semi-free time....anything else you need me to test/try for you? beyond just this little project...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

First screen looks like it is enabled. And it shows the two options that Microsoft required be available.

Mandatory. On non-ARM systems, the platform MUST implement the ability for a physically
    present user to select between two Secure Boot modes in firmware setup: "Custom" and
    "Standard". Custom Mode allows for more flexibility as specified in the following:
    The other screen looks like it is just to allow turning off all the secure boot settings with one option. Did not know there were all those settings.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast