Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows not booting after ubuntu installation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Windows not booting after ubuntu installation

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Your Windows 8 looks ok, but somehow you have the efi partition as sda7. The efi partition is normally first per UEFI spec and with Windows sometimes second. And even thought it is sda7 it still is first on drive?

Both Ubuntu & Windows need to be either UEFI/gpt partitioned or BIOS/MBR partitioned. And how you boot installer (UEFI or BIOS/legacy) is how it will install.

If you go into UEFI and select efi boot, does it show both ubuntu and windows?
    Holy crap good catch! I just thought of the most common problem of the MBR getting messed up.
    Last edited by Shuudoushi; November 26th, 2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: fixed spelling mistake

Beans

Yes sda7 is the first partition.
    Finaly my recovery (external) disk worked fine.
    Now i need to reinstall ubuntu but with custom partitioning: I already have 3 unused partition which i want to use as /root, /tmp and /home.

the EFI partition is also still there. Do I need to specify efi partition during the re-installation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You need to boot in UEFI mode. I believe grub then just installs with grub-efi correctly into the efi partition if it already exists.
    You do not install grub to the MBR or any place else. Does it still give the old choices which then is a bug?
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12