Thread: nouveau failed to idle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

nouveau failed to idle

Hey folks, sitting here frustrated as heck. Trying to load Ubuntu 12.10 on my 'Ubuntu Only' machine and have hit a snag. Where to start .. tried usb and dvd with the same results. After installation the machine boots to the orangeish screen then blacks out to a screen that shows OK on several things then .. nouveau failed to idle 1,2,3. I did install using 'nomodeset' and I am able to 'try Ubuntu without installing'. I have tweaked the UEFI several times by I am convinced that the problem is with the Nvidia GPU and the fact that the board does not have on-board graphics. I searched for a way to access grub, press shift or esc but this does not work (tried many times). This machine worked quite well with several different Ubuntu releases and dual boot with XP. This is the first attempt at running Ubuntu solo. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, West.

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

PNY 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop
    Memory Model MD2048SD3-1333-V2

Rosewill DESTROYER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case,
    comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 120mm

LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 – OEM

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Callisto 3.2GHz Socket AM3 80W Dual-Core Desktop Processor - C3 Revision HDZ555WFGMBOX

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS
    Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Asus M5A97 Motherboard

Used: EVGA GE Force 7800 gts (PCIE)

Beans
    Distro

Re: nouveau failed to idle

Still hoping for some help on this problem but in the meantime I loaded 12.04. Some of the same problems but I was able to access recover mode by pressing the shift key and checked the grub and the ?dstk? (file repair). What could be different between 12.10 and 12.04? I did pay for 12.10 so will keep at it until I get it figured out. Just wondering if I could build a OEM with the Nvidia drivers included? Hoping for some help.

Beans
    Distro

Re: nouveau failed to idle

bump