Thread: Uninstall Ubuntu Put Back Windows

Hybrid View

Beans

Uninstall Ubuntu Put Back Windows

A tale told by an idiot.

It was 6 o'clock in the mourning I haven't gone to bed all night. I was looking at random programs on the internet. And I installed Ubuntu on my Windows Vista Toshiba Labtop. Computer screen went black nothing was working so I held the power button down. Now computer won't boot.

I have spent 24 hours doing everything you could think of to re-boot my computer. Everything. Nothing would work. Nothing.

I kept thinking "I must of fried my hard drive by holding the power button down to turn it off I know your not supposed to do that". Just recently I had realized that I download Ubuntu. I'm pretty sure this is the problem why my computer won't boot what so ever.

2 Notes of Genius:
    1. I'm almost positive my computer isn't even compatible with Ubuntu
    2. I did not back up any of my precious precious pictures,documents,programs.

I want to uninstall Ubuntu while putting windows back. And I don't want to lose any of my stuff. Please help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Uninstall Ubuntu Put Back Windows

Hard to tell what you have installed and how from your description. Did you install Wubi which installs inside Windows or accidentally installed Ubuntu over Windows while trying to dual-boot? More info please ...

Your computer is totally incompatible with Ubuntu??? Highly unlikely.

Boot from the install CD (the LiveCD) and 'Try Ubuntu'. You will get to the desktop. Once there, find Gparted in System>Administration. It may be called Partition Manager.

Take a screenshot of that and post it so we get a better idea of what you have done and what you have got.

Your dual-boot, if that's what you were attempting, may be fine but the boot manager is stuffed. You could try using Boot Repair for this. You can install while booted from the LiveCD and run that, see if it fixes. It can also create a file telling us your boot info. If Boot Repair fails, create that file and post link.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bo...pair_in_Ubuntu

When your booted into Ubuntu from the CD you should also be able to see your files on the Windows partition and copy them to another device.

Good luck. I wouldn't panic at this point. Maybe simple but we'll know more when you post more info.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; November 25th, 2012 at 08:25 AM.

Beans

I'm a computer n00b so I hope I make sense.

I really do have the worst short time memory out of all the people in the history of the world. Well maybe not that bad, but it's bad. I can't remember exactly where I downloaded unbuntu. But I do remember downloading it on my computer. It was not on a CD or USB drive.

I BELIEVE I downloaded the 12.0 from here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I have no way of getting to the desktop. I just get a blue screen for a few seconds - then the computer quickly re-starting. (I have tried everything from advanced boot options and system recovery options) The reason I think this is because of ubuntu is because I used a program called wondershare live boot to get my computer back. It doesn't work because I keep getting messages like

"Can not find Windows on your computer!"

and

"Can not find any Windows on your hard disk"

Problems happened also after downloading Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Gronknation; November 25th, 2012 at 09:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

But can you tell us if you burned Ubuntu to a CD and booted from the CD?
    You'd surely remember that?

Or do you remember running an installer from the windows desktop?
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Definitely an installer from the windows desktop.

Sorry if I didn't make that clearer in my last post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If so, then you're using a Wubi installation, which creates a virtual drive on Windows to install Ubuntu from. A Wubi installation does NOT tamper with Windows' partition in anyway, and you can always uninstall it from Windows's Add or Remove Programs.

Here's the problem: If you can't boot into Windows, then you can't boot into Wubi Ubuntu too. So just a guess, but I think it's your Windows installation that's having problems.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    If so, then you're using a Wubi installation, which creates a virtual drive on Windows to install Ubuntu from. A Wubi installation does NOT tamper with Windows' partition in anyway, and you can always uninstall it from Windows's Add or Remove Programs.

Here's the problem: If you can't boot into Windows, then you can't boot into Wubi Ubuntu too. So just a guess, but I think it's your Windows installation that's having problems.
    Really? That's what I was afraid of. I thought it was the Ubuntu just because I found it weird that my computer couldn't find windows right after I downloaded ubuntu.

It sounds like you ran the 'wubi'
    This installs Ubuntu inside windows. I have never used it myself.
    Wait for someone else to answer who has a understanding of it.

The more you fiddle with it, the more damage you could do. But I'm pretty sure your windows data will be intact.
    Ok I will thankyou. I decided to stop fiddling with it after I posted this topic. Didn't want to do more damage.

Beans
    Distro

It sounds like you ran the 'wubi'
    This installs Ubuntu inside windows. I have never used it myself.
    Wait for someone else to answer who has a understanding of it.

The more you fiddle with it, the more damage you could do. But I'm pretty sure your windows data will be intact.
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

So just a guess, but I think it's your Windows installation that's having problems.
    Looks like it.

That could be due to:
    Computer screen went black nothing was working so I held the power button down.

Next question: Do you have a Vista DVD? I mean a proper one, not some recovery thing
    Last edited by oldos2er; November 25th, 2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Please watch your language
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Looks like it.

That could be due to:

Next question: Do you have a Vista DVD? I mean a proper one, not some sh1ty recovery thing
    I originally thought it was because I held the power botton. Just after I remembered downloading ubuntu. I was hoping it was ubuntu.

I only held down the power botton once to turn my computer off. I know people who do it frequently and nothing happens to them.

I have 2 basic Windows Vista disks I used to install Vista. Nothing else.

I had this happen to me before and I bought a SATA data connector

http://www.outletpc.com/xx8455.html?...ts&modal=false

and hooked it up as a second hard drive to my desktop computer. Worked great. I only took documents from it though, and I don't know if it could get things such as.....

Photos, I also do these projects in which I put my heart, soul, liver, kidneys etc. into and I always just keep them in my computer and just let them sit there. I was finally going through all these things and getting them organized. I don't want to re-do them. Along with the 2800 cars and 900 tracks I downloaded most of them downloaded one by one for NR2003 awhile back. Along with all the (way too many) programs I have downloaded in the past. (as you can tell I'm way too addicted to my computer, yes I know lol working on it.)

I would like to just get my computer back to the way it was, at all costs. I would rather not have to retrieve the data and then re-set my hard drive.

And thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it. I mean your not getting payed to help me or anything and are doing this out of your free time. It's appreciated.
    Last edited by Gronknation; November 25th, 2012 at 10:32 AM.