Thread: Openbox

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Openbox

Hi,
    I like Openbox. It is much faster than the default Lubuntu environment and frees up a lot of RAM.
    However, when I log in, the configuration is apparently absolutely barebone. I get to choose themes and make tweaks with ObConf, but most things are left blank that I would prefer to be filled, for example Applications, and desktop icons, and *especially* a panel would be nice.
    In fact, that's all I really need, is a panel. Can anyone point me to a guide or show me how to make a panel in OpenBox? I read on the OpenBox wiki that you need separate software, and I googled some, and found lists of them, but their function is unclear.
    Much appreciated,
    - searchfgold6789
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Openbox

Not sure what your up to, but if your running Lubuntu why not just use whats there? In terminal:

Code:
    lxpanel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

OpenBox does not come with a panel by default, you have to choose and install one yourself. Thats the obvious difference if you run a window manager (OpenBox) versus a desktop environment (LXDE).

There are quite some panels you can choose from:

http://penguininside.blogspot.de/200...-for-your.html
    http://urukrama.wordpress.com/openbox-guide/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I use openbox when I need to save resources or when compiz breaks down, but I didn't want to install all of lxde or any of lubuntu.

You can put together a fairly decent desktop with just openbox and lxpanel:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install openbox lxpanel
    To start lxpanel with openbox, add it to /etc/xdg/openbox/autostart
    Code:
    lxpanel &
    You probably want to use indicators, so install the plugin:
    Code:
    apt-get install lxpanel-indicator-applet-plugin
    There's a configuration/customization manager for obenbox:
    Code:
    apt-get install obconf
    I haven't installed an alternate file manager, but you might want to because:

If you open nautilus, it will daemonize; replace the desktop menu, and draw a background. You can killall nautilus to get the menu back, but the background will remain drawn. To avoid this you need to edit /usr/share/applications/nautilus-auto-run-software.desktop, nautilus-folder-handler.desktop, and nautilus-home.desktop were each has a line:
    Code:
    Exec=nautilus something
    Change it to
    Code:
    Exec=nautilus --no-desktop something
    I wouldn't advise altering nautilus.desktop, because it will affect the default desktop as well.

Beans

The CrunchBang Forums Screenshot threads will give you a lot of great ideas how to customize your Openbox setup. They make a new thread each month; here's November:

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=22766