Thread: Problem moving icon to desktop from applications folder

Beans

Angry Problem moving icon to desktop from applications folder

First, I've tried to move an icon from the applications folder and received an error message stating that I don't have permission. So I ran Nautilus in a terminal (gksu nautilus) and entered my password. Now It reads in a new error message that, ": The specified location is not supported."

I've used other means to create home and desktop icons on my desktop. I would just like to resolve this easy solution which would be to drag and drop from a folder. Any idea?

Beans

Re: Problem moving icon to desktop from applications folder

The icon is a .desktop file. So what you want to do is to move the .desktop file to the your desktop. I have no idea why you want to clutter your desktop with launcher icons like Windows, but here it goes.

The .desktop files are usually in /usr/share/applications, so find the one you want and copy it onto your desktop.

Say you want vlc on your desktop.

Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/applications/vlc.desktop Desktop
    Note the captial D

After that right click the .desktop file (now on your desktop) and choose properties and check the box "allow execute as a program"
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 25th, 2012 at 12:45 AM.

Beans

Okay, thank you. And you're right. I won't use the desktop in that way. Only for files and things I'm working with. Great advice. By the way, even though it works, I will not be using the it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mmauldin3 View Post
    Okay, thank you. And you're right. I won't use the desktop in that way. Only for files and things I'm working with. Great advice. By the way, even though it works, I will not be using the it.
    For data files (like pdf, movie files, etc) just drag and drop works.

Beans

Thank you!