Thread: Drivers Update Crashes

Beans

Drivers Update Crashes

Hello. I'm new here. Please forgive me if this is not the right section.

I finally installed Ubuntu right now. Everything is fine, except for Drivers Update/Additional Drivers ( "Driver Aggiuntivi" in Italian ). I'm not sure how it is called in English, but I mean the service that should search and download the drivers. I'm on an Alienware m15x. On the Ubuntu Test Version from DVD the Driver download found some NVIDIA drivers and it was finding a lot more. I didn't install them, I just installed Ubuntu. Now when I try to open it, it just closes. "<<Ubuntu 12.04>> found an internal error". Nothing more. I'm quite concerned also because fans does not work without drivers and m15x overheats very quickly.

Is there any way to solve this? Can I install the drivers using the Test Version?

Many thanks for your support, and again sorry for my "n00bness".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Drivers Update Crashes

Do you know what Nvidia card model there is?

Beans

I think the GTX 260M, not sure right now. I'll check on Windows.

Still, the problem solved right now with an update : it is still Ubuntu 12.04 but Drivers load without problem. The only thing is that I can only choose drivers for video cards, and nothing for things like vents or audio, but I imagine it is supposed to do so, isn't it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Additional drivers are only provided for wireless and graphics. I've never ever seen anything else there. Audio is provided for by the open source ALSA, and vents (fans) are usually governed by the BIOS. Is there still a problem with the fans not working, even after installing the recommended Nvidia driver?

Beans

Yep, I imagined that. No, I can't get the fans working, even with fancontrol. I explained everything better here ( another thread ) because this isn't the right thread, right? Still many thanks for your help