I just managed to register for this forum. I think it may be the most difficult time I have ever had registering for a web forum, not counting the sites where I just gave up trying.
I think this needs to be said, not as a rant, but as feedback so the site management might hear what is going on for people trying to get to use the forum.
All of these seem needlessly complicated to me:
* I already have an AskUbuntu account, but apparently this requires a separate (?) account.
* When I first tried to create an account here, I was sent to a LiveID login page, which said I could use my OpenID, which I tried, but for some reason did not seem to work on that page. Eventually, after several annoying attempts, email confirmations, new passwords, and illegible Captcha tests, I managed to either create or reset a LiveID, but this left me at a web page which only offered to have me reset the LiveID again, not to get back to Ubuntu forums.
* When I then re-found the Ubuntu Forums page, my new LiveID did not seem like something I could figure out how to use for the Ubuntu Forums site, so I embarked on the odyssey of trying to restore or create a login for Ubuntu Forums.
* Creating an Ubuntu Forums account for some reason seems to require guessing an unused combination of email and user name, and two of my usual user names are apparently already used either by someone else, or by me using a different email account. Each guess requires a person to re-enter data such as the new password (and confirmation). I don't see why it needs to throw those away, or why it can't send me a reminder of my user name or something to the email account I want to use.
* Creating an Ubuntu Forums account also requires questions that require a fairly high level of fluency in English grade-school sentence problems and/or math... which seems pretty hilarious. I actually got <snip> wrong, as I was not thinking entirely clearly due to being frustrated 50 times in a row trying to be able to log in.
* I ended up resetting the passwords on a couple of my existing accounts, and not really being clear which accounts those were, and then I think creating a brand new account before I actually managed to log in.
All in all, it was an amazing odyssey of silly ordeals which seem very unnecessary and extremely likely to have people give up and go somewhere else. Maybe that's intended?