Thread: Can't install alongside WinXP

Beans

Can't install alongside WinXP

Recently I uninstalled Ubuntu 11.04 which had been installed inside Windows. I threw it out because I had never been able to connect to the internet.

I bought a disc for 12.10 (which includes Wubi) and it connects easily when run from the disc BUT I am not given the option to install alongside Windows. Since the older version did so, does anyone know why this will not?
    My disc is not partitioned.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Can't install alongside WinXP

You hard drive has to be partitioned if you have both Windows & Ubuntu on it.

Post this from terminal in liveCD/USB.

sudo parted /dev/sda unit s print
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Edubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing Wubi from CD has been disabled since 12.04, but you can still do it with the argument --force-wubi: http://askubuntu.com/q/125015/14916

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You hard drive has to be partitioned if you have both Windows & Ubuntu on it.
    Not if it was a Wubi installed, which the OP said it was.

OP: do you want to redo a Wubi install (use the windows-installer) or do you want to create a dual-boot situation (Windows and Ubuntu next to each other on separate partitions)?
    I'm thinking about it

Beans

I want to avoid partitioning because Disk Manager does not give me the option to create a new partition. I will not attempt it from the command console because I do not know if it will destroy my Windows files.
    The Ubuntu 11.04 was installed inside Windows and I had a choice of OS when booting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sundit1 View Post
    I want to avoid partitioning because Disk Manager does not give me the option to create a new partition. I will not attempt it from the command console because I do not know if it will destroy my Windows files.
    The Ubuntu 11.04 was installed inside Windows and I had a choice of OS when booting.
    Of course it does, you need to boot off a live usb and run gparted. But some people said you should shrink the Windows partition with a Windows tool in Windows(I don't remember having done that, but I read it somewhere so I cite it just for your reference).

Then when you install Ubuntu, choose "something else" instead of "install alongside .." a graphic representation of your hard drive layout will appear, then create 2 (or 3 see below) subpartitions in the free space created above (by shrinking Windows), a big one as "/" for the system and a small one for swap (about 1.5 x ram) . As another option you can create 3 partitions: / ; /home (to store your data) and swap. / and /home should be in ext4 file system. If you have a separate /home partition you can allocate maybe 10 -12G to / and it is quite sufficient

I have gotten rid of the XP partition for a few years, but as far as I remember it wasn't that difficult.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; November 24th, 2012 at 11:02 PM.