Thread: Help with a Shell Script

Beans

Help with a Shell Script

I am trying to write a shell script (.sh) to search the log files for any occurrences of entries with the tags "attackalert" or "UFW BLOCK". The following is an excerpt of what I have worked out:

Code:
      #!/bin/bash  tail -f /var/log/messages | grep "attackalert\|UFW BLOCK" | xargs -I {} dialog --ascii-lines --infobox "PortSentry  Alert: The system logs indicate one or more port scans were launched  against this computer since this script was last executed. See [the log]  for details.\n" 7 80
    Some other things of note: This script gets executed with root privileges. It runs as a cron job, every 15 minutes. My goal is, if the grep command returns results, a pop-up on the screen displays the text that I tried to display with "dialog". It seems that dialog only invokes the terminal for a GUI, and if no terminal window is open, it doesn't show anything. Help?

PS: I apologize. I posted a duplicate of this topic in the "Specialized Support" then got the feeling it was in the wrong place. Heck, it still may be. An admin can delete the other one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Help with a Shell Script

Hi ACagliano.

A few thoughts:

The option '-f' is for a more permanent process running on the ground rather than a crontab script.

As the crontab environment is very limited, you have to define the DISPLAY variable in order to run GUI apps. Check the section 'GUI Applications' in this tutorial for more details.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

That needs to be split into two lines. As a single line, it is merely a long comment line and there is nothing to execute.

I suspect that you need to specify which display to pop the window onto. Try this (inserted extra line):
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash  
    export DISPLAY=:0.0
    tail -f /var/log/messages | grep "attackalert\|UFW BLOCK" | xargs -I {} dialog --ascii-lines --infobox "PortSentry  Alert: The system logs indicate one or more port scans were launched  against this computer since this script was last executed. See [the log]  for details.\n" 7 80
    P.S.
    Oops, I didn't notice the "-f" on tail (as papibe did). That's bad because it's a never-ending process. And with crontab, you would start another such process every 15 minutes until you had hundreds or thousands of them running.
    Last edited by The Cog; November 24th, 2012 at 07:14 PM.

Beans

Yes, I removed the -f argument. I realized that as well. That must be an older version of my script. Here is the one that I have up now, but there's the issue with rendering the GUI.

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

tail -n 50 /var/log/syslog | grep 'attackalert\|UFW BLOCK' | xargs -I {} dialog --ascii-lines --title "Security Alert" --msgbox "The system logs indicate one or more port scans were launched against this computer since this script was last executed. See '/var/log/syslog' for details.\n" 7 80
    I'll have a look at the tutorial and post back. Thanks.

Edit: The addition of the "export DISPLAY=:0.0" line (those are zero's right?) had no effect. Still no display on execution. And I deliberately portscanned just before the cron ran, so make sure it displayed.
    Last edited by ACagliano; November 24th, 2012 at 08:05 PM.