I realize that the use of digital signal processing (DSP) in playing mp3 files is a hotly debated practice. But let's just assume there is some good reason for using DSP for certain types of tracks or listening environments.

In Windows, one can add various plugins to Winamp, MusicBee, MediaMonkey and other players in order to change various characteristics of the audio output. Even simpler players like XMPlay sometimes contain built-in DSP features (equalization, reverberation, stereo enhancement, etc.).

As a fairly new convert to Linux, I find myself remote desktopping from my LXDE/Ubuntu machine to my old Windows XP machine when I want to play music. I would really like to get rid of Windows once and for all, but haven't discovered a Linux player that:

1) It a good library organizer (for a collection of maybe 10,000 tracks)
2) Has a good-quality audio library (player)
3) Provides a range of DSP options (beyond a simple equalizer).

It looks like Audacious might be able to use Winamp plugins, and might therefore be one option. Most other Linux players I have researched don't seem to offer anything.

I'm hoping that others who have explored various players can testify as to whether Winamp plugins (like Enhancer 017 or Jammix or Ozone) are supported by Audacious, and point out any other Linux players that provide a range of DSP options.

I would prefer to find a good GTK-based candidate, to avoid dragging lots of KDE dependencies into my LXDE/Ubuntu setup. However, if the best solution exists in the KDE environment, I could set up a separate music server and remote into that.

Thanks!