Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Live Ubuntu for a Powerbook G4 1.33GHz 12"

Beans

Re: Live Ubuntu for a Powerbook G4 1.33GHz 12"

I'll allow myself one more silly question ^^ :

is there any chance than another Linux distro for PowerPC might have a different, more efficient Xorg s/w, such that playing video would not take such a high toll on the CPU as it does within Ubuntu (much higher than it does in MacOS X with the proper NVidia driver)...?

Thanxx.
    Powerbook G4 Alu - 1.33GHz proc. 768MB RAM NVidia chipset - HDD dead - Working on Persistent Live USB stick (L)Ubuntu 12.04 install

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by peezee13 View Post
    So have tried various yaboot switches to see if things would improve, most notably this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...38&postcount=5, which brought me back to the "psychedelic" colours I had last week, pretty ugly but still allowed me to try mplayer. :-/
    did you tried modprobe nvidiafb mode_option=1024x768-16

and you get "psychedelic" colors too

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by peezee13 View Post
    I'll allow myself one more silly question ^^ :

is there any chance than another Linux distro for PowerPC might have a different, more efficient Xorg s/w, such that playing video would not take such a high toll on the CPU as it does within Ubuntu (much higher than it does in MacOS X with the proper NVidia driver)...?

Thanxx.
    maybe 10.04 work better older X.org

Beans

Hey abtabt, thanxx again. I tried the modprobe exactly as you mention, and first of all it does get me in the normal desktop environment with no funny colours, so that's good to begin with (so far only the noaccel=1 was able to do just that).

In addition it looks like things improve a bit on the video front, although with all the combinations of video players and codecs and preferences I've tried I'm not sure anymore which one is best, anyway I've been able to play movies full screen with some chopping and lag here and there but globally this is the best I've been able to achieve so far. Note that despite of this, if I try to enable video acceleration it still refuses to play (too bad because that would certainly lower CPU util a great deal, oh well...)

So I'll continue to explore this path, and if it proves Ok I'll try to automate the boot procedure, though I'm not sure it's possible to automate the "blind writing" part...

Now I still have a few issues bugging me :

1- still refuse to automount the user partition, I have to do a manual mount in Disk Utility after reboot. I have edited the /etc/fstab file but the edits get lost at next reboot. Pain in the neck.

2- after reboot the audio is muted and volume set to zero, again here this requires manual intervention. I've found a solution for that (with alsactl store/restore) but doesn't work either.

I feel like most solutions I read about are for installed Ubuntu, not Live Ubuntu. I'd appreciate if anyone here could help on these annoying issues.

Thanx.
    Powerbook G4 Alu - 1.33GHz proc. 768MB RAM NVidia chipset - HDD dead - Working on Persistent Live USB stick (L)Ubuntu 12.04 install

Beans

Been wasting hours looking for a working solution to this partition not auto mounting at reboot problem.

Don't understand why nobody here can or want to help on this very basic issue. Pretty frustrating.

Looks like it's impossible to force a Ubuntu Live CD system to automatically mount a specific partition at reboot in addition to what it does by default, the partition being on the very same disk Ubuntu is installed on. Unless you have to entirely rebuild your install and have to go thru a "Live CD customization" phase ?

I just can't believe this should be so difficult, since Disk Utility properly mounts that partition when asked to (btw where does D.U. get the mount information for that partition ??)

Could Someone PLEASE help on thi - thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

can this help you http://www.systemateka.com/usbboot.html

good to hear that modprobe nvidiafb mode_option=1024x768-16
    work for you

if you use 800x400 it can be faster

btw lubuntu vs ubuntu lubuntu live 590 MB is a lot smaller in ram then ubuntu live 747 MB no swap used

Beans

Thanx for the link, but WOW! never going to have the time/patience/will to read thru all this.

TBH I've already spent way more time than reasonable on this. I'm now realizing I'd rather had spent the time buying a new drive and reinstalling OSX on it (even though swapping the drive on this model is a real pain in the ***), I thought Linux had made lots of progress towards "user friendliness", it certainly has but boy there's still a LONG way to go imho...

For instance things as basic as creating a symbolic link on the desktop to a folder somewhere in the file system... not so fast, you got to go thru command line to do just this. WHAT ?? In fact I've learnt that the people at GNOME have decided to remove that capability from the U/I, it used to be easy - but not anymore. Why do they do this, to "improve the user experience"...?

Anyway, I'm going to leave it at that, see if it's bearable for me or not, and if not instead of spending more hours and hours searching for ways to do even the most basic things I'll buy a new drive, period.

With all this I feel like having to learn in detail how the car engine works before being able to take it for a trip. Ok it's free in terms of cash which is great, but then if you look at all the time spent, and that's not free...

Also because a little disappointed with the lack of participation here, probably due to the less-than-usual "Persistent Live Linux on PowerPC-based Apple hardware" objective I was aiming at ?

So thanxx again to the few who participated to this thread, but I don't have the patience nor the time frankly to go any further.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234