Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phone manager for android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Phone manager for android

Do we have any Ubuntu supported Phone manager for android devises ? As android is not as closed system as its competitors i would expect some more applications to come up. But checking on the manufacturer's websites i do not find any one of them providing phone manager like application for Linux. In such a case what options do we Linux users have ? I am not talking abt wammu and gammu kind of applications as they are still not comparable to any phone manager provided by the manufacturer. Another way is to run them through Wine / Virtual Box. In that case also, they do not give optimum result. So do we have any one who has some experience with this ?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Phone manager for android

I got my huawei software to work in wine. But it can't see my phone when using the USB connection. So I have to use the wifi option. There are no difference, I have access to all features.

Ubuntu can see phone when I use the memory card option, it will then be mounted. But wine can't access it.

Beans
    Distro

So that means there is no application for Linux.

Beans
    Distro

I guess it depends on what you mean by "phone manager", and the phone that you are using.

1. What version of Ubuntu are you running.
    2. What phone are you trying to manage, and what version of Android does it have?
    3. What are you looking for this application to do? Manage music, photo, etc?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGMarine View Post
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "phone manager", and the phone that you are using.
    I wish to do all that phone managers available with the phone can do. Not just music and photo transfer. That does not needs any phone manager. I am not talking abt any phone in perticular but android phones in general.

1. What version of Ubuntu are you running.
    I am using 12.04 but that is not important because what ever version of ubuntu or any other linux that can do this well can be installed in any other partition for this work

2. What phone are you trying to manage, and what version of Android does it have?
    Huawei or Samsung with Android 4.0 +

3. What are you looking for this application to do? Manage music, photo, etc?
    SMS, contacts and other similar content manager (backup) in csv or similar format.
    Last edited by 3dmatrix; November 29th, 2012 at 12:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi

Suggest you try Airdroid. Its an android app in the playstore which has a browser based PC interface and works on all platforms.

Should do what you need (as long as you have a wireless network)

Roger

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by roger_1960 View Post
    Hi

Suggest you try Airdroid. Its an android app in the playstore which has a browser based PC interface and works on all platforms.

Should do what you need (as long as you have a wireless network)

Roger
    How is airdroid going to help me in taking back up of my sms, contacts and notes in csv format ?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    How is airdroid going to help me in taking back up of my sms, contacts and notes in csv format ?
    You should have said exactly what functions you want from the start, instead of just saying "I want something that works like a phone manager"

There are plenty of apps in the Play Store that allow you to back up your SMS, contacts and notes to the cloud. Google does the contacts (unless you choose "Phone" when asked where you want to store the contact). There's SMS Backup and Restore for the SMSes. For notes, I use AKNotepad which can back up to catch.com.

Really not much need for specific phone management software these days. That's why few of these programs exist for Linux.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    You should have said exactly what functions you want from the start, instead of just saying "I want something that works like a phone manager"

There are plenty of apps in the Play Store that allow you to back up your SMS, contacts and notes to the cloud. Google does the contacts (unless you choose "Phone" when asked where you want to store the contact). There's SMS Backup and Restore for the SMSes. For notes, I use AKNotepad which can back up to catch.com.

Really not much need for specific phone management software these days. That's why few of these programs exist for Linux.
    I would prefer an offline option instead of sending all my data to 3rd party websites. That is why i said somthing equivalent to the phone manager softwares provided by the phone companies.

Beans
    Distro

Thanx for giving me the hint about android applications.
    I found a lot of such applications that could be of use. I have not tried any of them but hope will find a suitable one soon. Just wish there is a CSV, and local save option.
    Thanx !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast