Thread: AMD Beta drivers 12.11 : Additional Drivers

Beans

Question AMD Beta drivers 12.11 : Additional Drivers

Hi there i would like to know when are the new Ati beta 12.11 drivers going to be available on the additional driver menu in ubuntu 12.04.

I know you can get them by enabling proposed ppa... but i dont like updating all my packages to still on testing packages...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: AMD Beta drivers 12.11 : Additional Drivers

If you stick with the 12.04 repo, I believe you'll see only the 12.4 driver. I think that was ATI's 8.960 development branch.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I don't believe that the drivers will be available in Ubuntu 12.04. That's beta!

I have also ATI graphics cards (ATI Mobility HD5650) and FireGL drivers in the application "Additional Drivers" in Ubuntu 12.10. I installed Catalyst 12.11.8 only for steam, but they work veeery good, much better than stable fglrx version.

Here you can find tutorial "how to install" these drivers: http://www.gry.ubuntu-pomoc.org/publ...rzed-swietami/

Yeap, it's not in english but the commands are simple. Firstly you need to delete the old driver:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge fglrx*
    download binary from official site for your current card (important - your card must be supported, choose correct model in searchbox)

run install file:
    Code:
    sudo chmod +x amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta-x86.x86_64.run
    Code:
    sudo sh amd-driver-installer-catalyst-12.11-beta-x86.x86_64.run
    After install generate new xorg:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    and reboot your pc

Beans

Hi thnx all for the help, i think i will go the manual way for installing them.

Would like to know if everytime theres a new updated kernel will i have to reinstall the ati drivers manually? or should i ignore those kernel updates? or if it will work out of the box with new kernels?

Thanks again

Beans

You will need to reinstall the driver every time the kernel is updated.
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you use the package in the repo, you will not have to reinstall when the kernel is updated. That will be taken care of by the update process.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.