Thread: Unity gone

Beans

Unity gone

Did an update lastnight and lost Unity in the drop box at the login screen. Gnome-shell working great.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Unity gone

Try going to Synaptic Package Manager and reinstall Unity.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Last night I was going to update using synaptic and it said it was going to remove ubuntu-desktop. So, I cancelled and avoided loosing Unity.

This mornings update did not remove ubuntu-desktop. You need to re-install ubuntu-desktop. You want version 1.290.

I had this happen before. It was two or three days before I was allowed to install ubuntu-desktop. The libraries in the repositories do not match.

This is why I have an alternate desktop available when testing development branches. I have fvwm-crystal.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Last night I was going to update using synaptic and it said it was going to remove ubuntu-desktop. So, I cancelled and avoided loosing Unity.

This mornings update did not remove ubuntu-desktop. You need to re-install ubuntu-desktop. You want version 1.290.

I had this happen before. It was two or three days before I was allowed to install ubuntu-desktop. The libraries in the repositories do not match.

This is why I have an alternate desktop available when testing development branches. I have fvwm-crystal.

Regards.
    fvwm-crystal is very handy to have on hand during testing cycles. It will work when other desktops fail. At least it will not completely bork lines of communication with lighdm or gdm and if one has synaptic installed then that is easily accessed if ubuntu-desktop is malfuntioning.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've got the same situation here except I've lost both unity and gnome-shell , when gnome-shell is selected it actually goes to classic , when unity is selected it just goes right back to the login window . Ubuntu-desktop is installed (1.290).
    if it ain't broke you haven't tweaked it enough