Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Compiz Panic!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Compiz working smoothly

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    My apologies (kiss)
    No, my apologies! You weren't supposed to see that.

I was so wound up, I had to get off the computer and ride my beach cruiser around the lake for 30 minutes. When I got back, I redacted those comments. My bad, not yours!

In MY defense (and this is no kidding) as soon as I left my house, I was buzzed by an unmarked, black helicopter, flying approx. 200 feet AGL. Plus, there were four jets crisscrossing the sky, laying chemtrails overhead. Maybe I was part of a PSYOP, or something. LoL!

Just one of those days, you know? Sorry...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Re: Compiz working smoothly

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I use rotate here instead of wall & it needs something to rotate, so cube.
    Rarely have any issue enabling thru ccsm, certainly nothing a log out/in doesn't resolve.

Way here -
    open ccsm
    disable the unity plugin
    disable wall, enable rotate/cube
    change 2x2 to 1x4 in general options
    re-enable the unity plugin

Most times unity comes right back or in a few sec.'s or so. If it
    doesn't after 10 sec's or so, (rare), I just log out/in & all is well.

(- the one plugin that still consistently hangs up compiz is disabling the grid plugin which I do separately & many times need a log out/in to finish.
    Worked! Thanks!

The Cube...

Now, I need to remember all the little tricks, to make it look good...

Beans
    Distro

Re: No Compiz Panic!!

@ ventrical & mc4man

I'm happy with the rotating cube, so far, but now it's time to start working on the reflection, deformation, caps, and so forth and so on.

As started earlier, I haven't played with the "cube" in a year or more.

First thing, this morning, I went searching for the "cubeaddon" plugin. I'm running...

Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ apt-cache policy compiz
    compiz:
      Installed: 1:0.9.8.4+bzr3412-0ubuntu1
      Candidate: 1:0.9.8.4+bzr3412-0ubuntu1
    All I can find are plugins for Compiz 0.9.5.92

Example: https://launchpad.net/compiz-cubeaddon-plugin

What are you guys using?!?!?

Did you downgrade your Compiz package?

Or, are we too far out on the fringe edge of computing for stuff like that?

EDIT

Whoa! N/M

Doing a little research... it's pretty bad when the Compiz maintainers are throwing in the towel.

I *feel* like I'm playing with fire and knives -- tinkering around with these unsupported plugins.

I'm gonna get burned and sliced, if I continue down this path. Heh!

Not to mention, four desktops just doesn't cut it for me. That's kiddie-stuff, and sphere vs. cube looks like grunt!

Soooo, what's the point, you know?!?!?

Think I'll leave "well enough" alone...
    Last edited by VinDSL; December 2nd, 2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Update

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    @ ventrical & mc4man

I'm happy with the rotating cube, so far, but now it's time to start working on the reflection, deformation, caps, and so forth and so on.

First thing, this morning, I went searching for the "cubeaddon" plugin. I'm running...

Code:
    compiz:

Myself just use cube for rotate, specifically 'scroll on desktop' which is not that good with wall.
    So haven't paid much attention other than many plugins are no longer provided, ie. you're on your own.

As far as the plugins provided thru "compiz-plugins" package - they are Not supported atm. One can file a bug on if desired but whether attended to is a matter of time/interest of the few who actually know enough to address.

One current ex. would be the commands plugin. Set commands/bindings tend to disappear after a while. Whether I file on is debatable, have found a semi-workaround for the one main one I use
    (it enables scale > pull all windows from a window group from all viewports

Some of the plugins you've mentioned may work if installed, may not. Also the change to dconf from gconf could present some issue with older plugins.

There also is some sort of 'disconnect' between dconf & compiz settings
    Changes made thru ccsm usually will then be reflected in dconf but in the absence of ccsm making changes thru dconf is a bit obscure or in some cases not possible??

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, mc4man! I edited the post (above yours).

Heh! We must have been "two-fingering" (the keyboard) at the same time. LoL!

Compiz is stable enough to switch back n' forth between the four-sided "cube" and my nine-desktop "wall" without crashing the 3D desktop. Sooo, I'll use the "cube" for nostalgia, and the "wall" when I need to get some work done.

Having played around with Compiz, last night & today, the trick *seems* to be to disable the Unity plugin, before clicking on things and/or making any changes, and re-enabling it when you're done. I haven't experienced any explosions doing things this way.

Anyway, thanks for the input! It's nice to have the "cube" on call again...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

@ ventrical & mc4man

Code:
    compiz:

EDIT

Whoa! N/M

Doing a little research... it's pretty bad when the Compiz maintainers are throwing in the towel.

I *feel* like I'm playing with fire and knives -- tinkering around with these unsupported plugins.

I'm gonna get burned and sliced, if I continue down this path. Heh!

Not to mention, four desktops just doesn't cut it for me. That's kiddie-stuff, and sphere vs. cube looks like grunt!

Soooo, what's the point, you know?!?!?

Think I'll leave "well enough" alone...

I 'm using pretty well the same stuff you are. I basically use compiz to test my graphics adapter hardware. It's pretty neat some of the stuff one can do. Looks like raring is having a tougher time with other features that are available. I know during Precise Pangolin beta testing that a few developers set out to obsolete ccsm. That was quite a debate. So far, on my nvidia Gforce 210/218 I am only having problems with 3D windows. A lot of the older features were taken out during the quantal testings.

"Doing a little research... it's pretty bad when the Compiz maintainers are throwing in the towel."

Wow .. I never thought it would come to that.

Thanks for noting that.

Regards,
    ventrical

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    "Doing a little research... it's pretty bad when the Compiz maintainers are throwing in the towel."
    Wow .. I never thought it would come to that.

Thanks for noting that.
    Heh! Shall we avail ourselves?

SOURCE: http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/...gins/#comments
    Quote Originally Posted by smspillaz
    Hmm, I think you misunderstand my point [...]

Maintaining this stuff is a huge drag on our development manpower.

Finding people to work on compiz is hard, and at the moment there are only two full-time maintainers.

Our to priorities right now are fixing bugs, updating core to work with the evolving desktop architecture and making compiz scream performance wise (I’ll post a bit on this in a while). We’ll keep maintaining the more popular stuff (as we already do now), but I’m looking for people who would be willing to maintain the stuff we don’t enable by default. If there is such a strong base of users who love this stuff, then there must be someone out there who would be willing to volunteer to keep it up to date.

So. Are there?

Beans
    Distro

Heh! Shall we avail ourselves?

SOURCE: http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2012/...gins/#comments
    Sam S. wrote:
    "Generally speaking you’ll only really need to know your way around C++. For some of the more complex plugins, a good understanding of graphics math and linear algebra is useful, especially plugins that make heavy use of vertex transformations. Very few of the plugins use openGL directly. You’ll know instantly when you see it.
    I’m always available on #compiz-dev and #ubuntu-desktop . We use a code-review process in launchpad and require anything that touches the default usecase in ubuntu to come with unit tests (unless explicitly excepted)."

I really do not think it is this complicated, mind you my C++ skills have been sitting on the shelf for some time. My observation at this point is that there has been an obsoletion of macros , that Unity DE has more or less invaded or replaced the greater numbers of ccsm macros and, rather than patch them, remove those features from ccsm to make Unity *appear* faster.

In Precise 12.04LTS most (if not all) of the plugins are working just fine.

My suggestions(s) would be this:

Install the newer raring 13.04 kernelRCs on a 12.04 machine and test ccsm features and determine if those features will run smoothly with the RCs (I'll do this as a preliminary since I have the hardware resources). If some of these tests show positive results then the kernel infrastructure can be ruled out as the culprit for the deprecated current plugin features with 13.04 and more attention can be given to Unity/Compiz Core, to be investigated as the culprit for the regressions in ccsm
    -plugins in particular.

Secondly, implement some newer macros on some of the existing plugins that get away from the <super><alt><ctrl> and <tab> keys for the purpose of validating the declaration that hooks to the most recent plugins have been supplemented or altogether terminated. ( I can also do some of this).

After a few tests , if results are promising, then perhaps looking at the code would be the next step if these plugins could not be adequately patched, perhaps even using a ppa.

*note*

I had read the messages in that link and obviously a lot of Ubuntu and Linux users feel strongly about vintage compiz plugins.

What do you think?
    Last edited by ventrical; December 3rd, 2012 at 03:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok.. I tired to bust ccsm in 12.04 using the raring ringtail 3.7.RC7 kernel. No go.

ps.. Nokia is not the best camera. Also... I was trying to hit some initiate keys that required two hands .. so it was awkward. Be patient

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m18JQ...ature=youtu.be

Quote:
    Originally Posted by smspillaz
    Hmm, I think you misunderstand my point [...]

Maintaining this stuff is a huge drag on our development manpower.

Finding people to work on compiz is hard, and at the moment there are only two full-time maintainers.

Our to priorities right now are fixing bugs, updating core to work with the evolving desktop architecture and making compiz scream performance wise (I’ll post a bit on this in a while). We’ll keep maintaining the more popular stuff (as we already do now), but I’m looking for people who would be willing to maintain the stuff we don’t enable by default. If there is such a strong base of users who love this stuff, then there must be someone out there who would be willing to volunteer to keep it up to date.

So. Are there?"

--------------------------------

In light of the way ccsm behaves on PP 12.04LTS .. with the new Raring 3.7RC7 kernel.. I just don't get it. I am assuming that some of the devs decided to try a Unity hack (secret skunks works -remember?!) and decided to throw some of the ccsm legacies into the trash bin.

regards..

Beans
    Distro

Just a side note.. I got the PC I tested this procedure on from the side of the road. It was an orphan rebuilt from scrap.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast