Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No Compiz Panic!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: No Compiz Panic!!

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Dumb question - can you get 400% utilization on a quad-core?

Or does 20% mean 20% on each one of the cores at once?
    The short answer is yes, but it depends on the utility you're looking at.

Most utilities will show you total load in units of cores, so 100% (or 1.00 load) means one core is fully utilized. On a quad-core machine, you can see up to 400%, and on a 16-core, 1600%, etc.

20% utilization typically means 20% of one core.

However, if you're reading the graphs in GNOME's system monitor (or htop) that break things down by core, those will show you the utilization for each core separately, and only go up to 100%.

For a rough estimate of load, you can add these numbers up and divide by 100, but the load averages from `uptime` and `w` will take a little bit of time to show those numbers since they're sampled over a longer span of time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: No Compiz Panic!!

The unity dash is still incredibly sluggish on my older laptop (intel ironlake graphics) The compiz effects like scale, wall, cube etc... have always been smooth for me, its just the dash thats terrible.

On my newer ivybridge laptop compiz/unity runs totally smooth on both 12.10 and 13.04 though.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Compiz working smoothly

I just wanted to make a note that this performance observation with Compiz seems to be a day by day activity that changes when major updates are aligned on the pipes. It is hard to determine why it will run so fast on one day and then crawl at a snails pace on another.

Certainly it is easy to determine why compiz runs slower on older machines and simply, the hardware can't handle the Unity &Compiz co-existing together. Any graphics hardware 256MB or under is going to have a hard time competing.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I'm almost in tears ! Just amazing work.

Compiz now works on this one machine so smoothly where it was really sluggish before and when enable cube/rotate... !!

No Panic or crash!
    Soooooo...

You're saying, it's safe to play around with Compiz again?!?!?

Or, are you saying, you've figured out how to tip-toe through the minefield without triggering any explosions?

I haven't tried invoking the "cube" in (like) a year.

I clicked something-or-another in Compiz, a month or so ago, to see what it would do, and spent the rest of the day trying to get my 3D desktop back. LoL!
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by VinDSL View Post
    Soooooo...

Or, are you saying, you've figured out how to tip-toe through the minefield without triggering any explosions?

I clicked something-or-another in Compiz, a month or so ago, to see what it would do, and spent the rest of the day trying to get my 3D desktop back. LoL!
    lol

Whats that olde saying .. umm .. "stuff rolls downhill".. Well.. we both know that 'stuff' happens!! in the repos and no matter how hard they smoketest the next batch of updates and kernels there will always be the chance that a compiz zinger will get through and foobar our desktops .. so .. we have to tip toe around a bit . However .. even doing this does not guarantee that we won't step in a pile of it now and again

lol

Beans
    Distro

Soooooo...

3D windows will make compiz do this weird hack when you try to rotate cube. even in quantal.. it's in rough shape.

At least on iNtel chipset graphics.

Also on ATi ..>effects> 3D windows will break.
    Last edited by ventrical; December 1st, 2012 at 10:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    3D windows will make compiz do this weird hack when you try to rotate cube. even in quantal.. it's in rough shape.

At least on iNtel chipset graphics.

Also on ATi ..>effects> 3D windows will break.
    Hrm...

You're sending a mixed message, bro!
    • Compiz is working smoothly, but...
    • Compiz is in rough shape, and...
    • Rotating cube will break 3D windows, "at least on Intel chipset graphics"!

Let me rephrase the question...

I generally bang out Unity 3D themes at a rate of 1 per-day. I take screenies, then start all over again.

I've spent 2-days on my most recent theme, which means I like it a lot (and don't want to crash my 3D desktop).

The only reason I'm bothering to ask you about your confusing declarations is, I think this mesmerizing theme would lend itself to a Compiz rotating cube treatment, but... I don't want to crash my desktop, based on your assertion that Compiz is working smoothly now.

Here is a clean screen...

A dirty screen (please note the warning dialog)...

And, the custom Expo...

Question: Is Compiz really working smoothly now, or not

It's a simple "yes" or "no" question...
    Last edited by VinDSL; December 2nd, 2012 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Clarification
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro

Hrm...

You're sending a mixed message, bro!
    • Compiz is working smoothly, but...
    • Compiz is in rough shape, and...
    • Rotating cube will break 3D windows, "at least on Intel chipset graphics"!

Let me rephrase the question...

I generally bang out Unity 3D themes at a rate of 1 per-day. I take screenies, then start all over again.

I've spent 2-days on my most recent theme, which means I like it a lot (and don't want to crash my 3D desktop).

The only reason I'm bothering to ask you about your confusing declarations is, I think this mesmerizing theme would lend itself to a Compiz rotating cube treatment, but... I don't want to crash my desktop, based on your assertion that Compiz is working smoothly now.

Here is a clean screen...
    A dirty screen (please note the warning dialog)...
    And, the custom Expo...
    You've applied for membership here, on Ubu Forums. I know you wish to place a positive spin on Unity, and pad your "bean" count. But, please provide a cogent answer.

Question: Is Compiz really working smoothly now, or not

It's a simple "yes" or "no" question...

@VinDSl

The original title of this thread was 'no compiz panic!'
    One of our beloved moderators took it upon themselves to change the topic title to 'Compiz working smoothly'. Now .. please stay with me here for a moment. I do not fault the staff or admins for changing the title because , perhaps my original topic title was obscure.

2. At the initial stage of install the Nov23 daily and installing compiz it WAS working exceptionally well. Let me explain. I had enabled Cube and Cube Rotate and Wobbly and there was no *stall* or *reset* routine that usually takes place (as which has been happening since Oneiric Ocelot) . Setting a compiz setting in ccsm would crash/reset compiz. On the Nov23/2012 daily ISO there was this smooth transition , or, no compiz panic (as I call the reset). Since then (along with upgrades and running 3D Windows) there has been deprecations and regressions that I have no control over. So, to answer your question - No! - Compiz is not working smoothly.

As for your comment about me padding my "bean count". I don't know what to say. Perhaps I may seem to be an over-enthusiastic troll of some sort. I do not intend to come across that way. But I must confess ... that if it seems like I am eating crow and kissing **** a little more than usual .. then you are correct. Yes , I would like to become an Ubuntu member, and I am trying my best, (feel like a cat on a hot tin roof sometimes) .. but I hope it will get better from here on in.

My apologies (kiss) if I have obsfucated the issue or have not clearly presented the clear documentation to my assumptions.

Regards..

Ventrical

Beans
    Distro

Hrm...

The only reason I'm bothering to ask you about your confusing declarations is, I think this mesmerizing theme would lend itself to a Compiz rotating cube treatment, but... I don't want to crash my desktop, based on your assertion that Compiz is working smoothly now

@vindsl

I had put this up back several messages ago. Did you not see it?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...55&postcount=7

Beans

I use rotate here instead of wall & it needs something to rotate, so cube.
    Rarely have any issue enabling thru ccsm, certainly nothing a log out/in doesn't resolve.

Way here -
    open ccsm
    disable the unity plugin
    disable wall, enable rotate/cube
    change 2x2 to 1x4 in general options
    re-enable the unity plugin

Most times unity comes right back or in a few sec.'s or so. If it
    doesn't after 10 sec's or so, (rare), I just log out/in & all is well.

(- the one plugin that still consistently hangs up compiz is disabling the grid plugin which I do separately & many times need a log out/in to finish.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast