Thread: Renting cable box with FireWire VS Ceton InfiniTV 4

Renting cable box with FireWire VS Ceton InfiniTV 4

I've been playing around with Mythbuntu and MythTV and think I want to go ahead and put together a dedicated box.

I don't currently own a cable box since I don't currently have Cable TV. I want to get it though.

Should I rent a cable box or get a Ceton InfiniTV 4? What are the pros and cons to each choice?

P.S. If it matters, I'm using Cox Cable in Kansas.

Re: Renting cable box with FireWire VS Ceton InfiniTV 4

Hi --- I am just checking this out -- the card does cost $1.99 a from Cox... Evey time your DVR fails [which is regularly] you lose the movies you wanted to keep. They also will not let a backup external Esata disk to be used as a way of saving the movies you really like. Cost in my area for basic DVR & settop box about $17.50 a month, pay out the Ceton in year & you can if needed record 4 different items at once!!! Good luck, I will be watching this as I am very interested & have been looking at some of the problems & how hard or easy they are to fix. Thanks for starting thread & I will be watching -- you get good help here usually --- The DVR would & can hookup an external disk --- the software says this disk is NOT allowed -- that is set by Cox or needed or whatever, makes no difference as your equipment can use disk, but Cox does not allow.....

Last edited by fcorourke; March 17th, 2013 at 01:28 PM.

Neither here nor there
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Renting cable box with FireWire VS Ceton InfiniTV 4

Depends on what channels you want to view and what their copy flags are set to. If they are anything other than copy freely you won't be able to view them with a Ceton, or firewire from a cable box. You could use an HD-PVR with a cable box, however.
    Linux & MythTV 4 Life
    Running ubuntu on an Atom 330, Atom D525, Turion 64 X2 TL-56, X2 3800, X2 4200, X2 4600, E2180, Core i5 450M, and a Core i7-2600
    My Hardware