Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plex media Server cannot find media

Beans

Re: Plex media Server cannot find media

Thank you to everyone for the info in this thread. I'm on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32-bit and was unable to mount my external USB drive to any location other than /mnt and have Plex recognize it. This thread gave me the tipoff: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2139064

Ultimately I had to add the plex user to my group as well, but it's working quite nicely now!

Beans

Appreciate all the tips but I am still having the same problem here. Reformatted from NTFS to EXT4, added permissions for both plugdev and 'drew' groups and still getting zero recognition of folders or files from Plex (FYI XBMC has no problem). Currently using 13.04 with a Mediasonic 8 drive RAID box (HF2-SU3S2) over eSATA. Any help is appreciated already have 10 hours in to this problem to no avail. Here's couple clips from the terminal checks if this helps at all.

Code:
    drew@Drews-Home-Office-PC:~$ groups plex
    Code:
    plex : plex plugdev drew
    Code:
    drew@Drews-Home-Office-PC:~$ ls -l
    Code:
    total 56
    drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 28 19:05 Desktop
    drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 30  2009 Documents
    drwxr-xr-x 3 drew drew 4096 Aug 30 02:20 Downloads
    -rw-r--r-- 1 drew drew 8445 Aug 30  2009 examples.desktop
    drwxrwxr-x 5 drew drew 4096 Jan 24  2013 FrostWire
    drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 29 20:46 Music
    drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 30  2009 Pictures
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 drew drew   36 Jan 23  2013 PlayOnLinux's virtual drives -> /home/drew/.PlayOnLinux//wineprefix/

drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 30  2009 Public
    drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 30  2009 Templates
    drwxrwxr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Jan 22  2013 Ubuntu One
    drwxr-xr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Aug 30  2009 Videos
    drwxrwxr-x 2 drew drew 4096 Jan 23  2013 Windows Apps
    The current file path for the storage is /media/drew/Media Storage

Beans

I got it working just had to change the mount location. As posted in another thread apparently it is not possible for anything other than the system to access the default mounting location.

Beans

Can someone walk me thru this? I am having the same issue. The drives marked Movies and Home are the ones i want to show up in plex.
    tim@tim:/media/tim$ ls -l
    total 484
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 16 22:18 Buffalo 1.5tb
    drwx------ 1 tim tim 28672 Aug 31 01:33 Buffalo 1.5tb1
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 6 16:52 Buffalo 3.0
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 Aug 16 22:18 Buffalo 3.01
    drwx------ 1 tim tim 430080 Aug 31 11:00 Buffalo 3.02
    drwxrwxr-x 1 tim tim 8192 May 26 16:54 Home
    drwx------ 2 root root 4096 May 31 19:49 Iomega 3.0
    drwxrwxrwx 2 tim tim 4096 Apr 27 13:04 Media
    drwxrwxrwx 5 tim plugdev 4096 Aug 31 12:12 Movies
    drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 4096 May 25 19:55 WD
    PC Specs: Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 930 - XFX Radeon 5750 HD Video Card - 12gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 - (internal)750gb WD 6.0gbps - 1tb WD Green Caviar - NZXT Tempest Case - Dell 24" 1080p HD Monitor - Dell Stereo Soundbar.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TimEnid View Post
    Can someone walk me thru this? I am having the same issue. The drives marked Movies and Home are the ones i want to show up in plex.
    I actually did not use the terminal to mount it. Under the disk manager you can select the partition settings and modify the mount options. It's fairly straight forward. If you are still having issues reply again and I will try and give further detail. FYI NTFS works just fine.

Beans

all, i'm still having a problem with my Plex install on 13.04. i have done much (if not all) of what has been suggested here. i have moved the mount point of my Pictures volume to /mnt/Pictures from /media/Pictures. i have added the plex user to the plugdev group as well as my username group. Plex still cannot find the media located in that directory.

a little about my system. it's an older machine, hence why i want to run Plex on Ubuntu instead of Windows. i took a single 2TB drive and formatted it into an extended partition (ext4) and created multiple partitions. the reason i wanted to do it this way is so that my girls could see their shows in their libraries instead of seeing mom & dad's movies/tv shows or music files.

i'm really at a loss at this point. i did a chmod 777 on the /mnt/Pictures partition and it's owner is my username. what am i missing?

thanks for any assistance that you might be able to provide.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by moyeboy13 View Post
    all, i'm still having a problem with my Plex install on 13.04. i have done much (if not all) of what has been suggested here. i have moved the mount point of my Pictures volume to /mnt/Pictures from /media/Pictures. i have added the plex user to the plugdev group as well as my username group. Plex still cannot find the media located in that directory.

a little about my system. it's an older machine, hence why i want to run Plex on Ubuntu instead of Windows. i took a single 2TB drive and formatted it into an extended partition (ext4) and created multiple partitions. the reason i wanted to do it this way is so that my girls could see their shows in their libraries instead of seeing mom & dad's movies/tv shows or music files.

i'm really at a loss at this point. i did a chmod 777 on the /mnt/Pictures partition and it's owner is my username. what am i missing?

thanks for any assistance that you might be able to provide.
    i changed my mount point to /srv/movies and plex fines it just fine.
    PC Specs: Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel Core i7 930 - XFX Radeon 5750 HD Video Card - 12gb DDR3 Corsair XMS3 - (internal)750gb WD 6.0gbps - 1tb WD Green Caviar - NZXT Tempest Case - Dell 24" 1080p HD Monitor - Dell Stereo Soundbar.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jualin View Post
    Hi guys, just ran into this issue today. As others have mentioned in other forums the problem is that the "plex" user doesn't belong to the "plugdev" group which is the only group that has access to the mounted devices.
    All you need to do is to add plex to that group by using gpasswd
    Code:
    sudo gpasswd -a plex plugdev
    To check that the "plex" user belongs to that group we can issue the following command:
    Code:
    groups plex
    Which should display something like: plex: plex plugdev

Restart your computer and try to access the mounted media with Plex Media Manager.
    Thank you so much for that. Running 13.10, I added plex to the plugdev group, rebooted and now it sees my media. I can now click on my mounted Windows drives and get the directories list (before it wouldn't show anything other than the drive) and select the media directories and they show up in plex. Thanks again.

Beans

I had same problem on Ubuntu 13.10 with a second HD, in my case auto-mounted at boot, and I solved it by changing permissions of mounted folder.
    My mountpoint was /media/moovee with "movies" and "tvshows" folder inside.
    Initial permissions were:
    Code:
    drwx------ moovee 700
    and plex was unable to scan files in subfolders.
    When I set 777 permissions:
    Code:
    drwxrwxrwx moovee
    In my case 777 can be safe enough, but consider setting more restrictive permissions depending on your specific needs (personal or shared pc, nas, etc...).

Hope this help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drew-j-harrison View Post
    I actually did not use the terminal to mount it. Under the disk manager you can select the partition settings and modify the mount options. It's fairly straight forward. If you are still having issues reply again and I will try and give further detail. FYI NTFS works just fine.
    Could someone else confirm NTFS works? I have a 1TB HDD which was originally running windows 7 so the whole thing is running on NTFS. I decided to dual boot Linux Mint based on Ubuntu by making some space for the OS partition. The dual boot thing works fine but I want to have plex media server running as this is intended to be a headless media server.

Plex can only see my root directory and my home directory, it cannot see the other NTFS partition where I have my media files! .. I tried adding plex to plugdev as advised here but that didn't work. I still have to try adding plex to my user group but if thats not going to do much I was thinking of buying another hard drive, format it with a filesystem that would play nice with PMS and see if that works..

Input anyone?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast