Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Unity faster than normal?

Beans

Re: Unity faster than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    But how do i make the dash smaller or resize it on this netbook?
    It looks like there is no option for that (as far as I can tell, maybe someone else knows more about it)

Beans

And I want Canonical to hit a home run with Unity-- I think they can (I think Unity is on the right track). But they need to improve the speed of the basic tools of the interface.

For example, I want to be able to hit the Dash reveal key combo (Super key, by default) plus a few characters of the application name I want, and hit enter within the matter of a split second and know that my application is being launched. There are a variety of tools on Linux that do this already, and I don't see why Unity shouldn't be able to achieve this. (This isn't an attack on Unity, but a realistic assessment: The tools need to speed up in order to not break a user's flow)

Last edited by gwjvan; January 12th, 2013 at 06:04 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by gwjvan View Post
    It looks like there is no option for that (as far as I can tell, maybe someone else knows more about it)
    LauncherIconSize in CCSM>Unity>Launcher...?
    Last edited by zika; January 12th, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    LauncherIconSize in CCSM>Unity>Launcher...?
    I can reduce the launcher ions a little with ccsm but not by much, 48 to 42, on my Poulsbo netbook., Dell mini-10n.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    I can reduce the launcher ions a little with ccsm but not by much, 48 to 42, on my Poulsbo netbook., Dell mini-10n.
    Do not kill the messenger...
    Ignota nulla curatio morbi.
    Quod nocet saepe docet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by serdotlinecho View Post
    Love the speed with intel SNA on my netbook(well, according to gtkperf......)
    But how do i make the dash smaller or resize it on this netbook?
    Don't believe that's user controllable any more. Over unity releases how Dash size is set has changed several times, haven't paid much attention because it's always been fine here on various.

Ex. on this 13" laptop, 1200X800
    xwininfo: Window id: 0x2800007 "unity-dash"

Absolute upper-left X: 57
    Absolute upper-left Y: 0
    Relative upper-left X: 0
    Relative upper-left Y: 0
    Width: 991
    Height: 640

Beans

Icon size is usually in appearance settings? At least in 12.10 it was have they removed that ability?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

I just slid mine down to 32 but now the right mouse click will not work on the Desktop to bring up those menu items.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ELD View Post
    Icon size is usually in appearance settings? At least in 12.10 it was have they removed that ability?
    i'm not on my raring install at the moment, but you can still resize the Launcher icons. You can't and never have been able to resize the dash icons. I haven't looked lately, but there used to be a setting to change the dash size for either a desktop system or notebook/netbook, but it only allowed you to change the size from approximately full screen to 80%.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gwjvan View Post
    I just tried 13.04 on a faster machine than the one in my earlier post, and I'm still seeing 12.10 performance in 13.04. I can't say for sure, but it actually looks like the Dash is even receiving/handling the characters faster in 12.10 than in 13.04...

So, 2 of the computers I've tried so far show no difference in speed with 13.04. (Though the software center appears to have sped up)

I'm guessing if I try 13.04 on my computer which has a newish Nvidia card I'll see improvement.

Also: Last summer, there was an issue with the Intel graphics driver which caused Unity to perform slowly on my laptop, and at some random point it was fixed, causing my laptop to perform better. Maybe these speed improvements are bug fixes on whatever hardware some people are using.

Edit, side note: I just set up XFCE on this other machine in 12.10 to run with Compiz--- it is beautiful. I don't understand why Unity can't run as well with Compiz with the same settings. The animations seem to not be missing any frames (XFCE+Compiz), whereas simply turning the Unity Plugin on (via Unity 3D session) seems to cause frames to drop consistently.

If your computer has an nvidia card are you using the 310.14 or later drivers, there was a significant improvement for me using these drivers than the earlier ones.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567