Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Unity faster than normal?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Unity faster than normal?

Quote Originally Posted by gwjvan View Post
    I'm guessing the increase in speed for some people is largely driver improvements.

I'm seeing the same slowdowns with the Unity Plugin and the Dash that I have seen in the past. Dash is missing the first character(s) I type sometimes (Synapse doesn't miss anything, on the same hardware), and window movements/animations are dropping more frames than Compiz+XFCE. My GPU isn't benefiting from the driver improvements we've seen recently.

I can agree in part but I think there is something more behind the scenes going on. I originally started this thread because I had downloaded a daily .iso back several weeks ago (I call it a phenom.iso) and I ran it on my Dell Dimension 3100 which works just naturally fast with Unity 3D and compiz. Hmmm.. I think I am going to go and visit that machine now. I think there is a combination of depends, not just drivers. I wish I could pin it down precisely (no pun intended:
    lol

Beans
    Distro

Anyone else using gtkperf ??/ Could you tell me how many 'rounds" that your default is set to?

thanks
    Last edited by ventrical; January 12th, 2013 at 02:06 AM. Reason: sp

Beans
    Distro

I just upgraded my Dell D 3100 to raring from Quantal. Despite a few really buggy problems (the upgrade installed the Radiance Theme) all I had to do was choose Ambiance from Desktop settings themes and it corrected all my settings. Everything was borked after upgrade. No terminal command line and icons missing from Unity lancher. Resetting back to ambiance fixed everything .. including borked compiz settings manager.

Now having a hard install on an overall faster system I am going to try the SNA experiment on 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)

Definitely ccsm and unity are more responsive to the naked eye just after upgrade. Overall the entire system appears more responsive.
    Last edited by ventrical; January 12th, 2013 at 02:07 AM. Reason: sp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Anyone else using gtkperf ??/ Coul dyou tell me how many 'rounds" that you default is set to?

thanks
    As always, 100.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    As always, 100.

Maybe it's time for me to get an Intel i5 or Phenom or something lol

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    Maybe it's time for me to get an Intel i5 or Phenom or something lol
    I build my own, since 1980, but of course not laptops or netbooks. <smile>
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    I build my own, since 1980, but of course not laptops or netbooks. <smile>
    I also build my own it's very easy to do anyone can do it.

Huge improvements in terms of speed and stability in raring and unity , it's the first version of ubuntu that has ran smoothly for me with the nvidia 310 driver.

The latest kernel 3.8 also seems to have solved my random full lockup problem as well and raring is so stable i am using it on my main machine with virtually no bugs affecting me.

Beans
    Distro

Same here .. plus orphaned PCs from the recycle bin. No money , no funny! I try to work frugally.

Beans
    Distro

Love the speed with intel SNA on my netbook(well, according to gtkperf......)
    But how do i make the dash smaller or resize it on this netbook?

Beans

I just tried 13.04 on a faster machine than the one in my earlier post, and I'm still seeing 12.10 performance in 13.04. I can't say for sure, but it actually looks like the Dash is even receiving/handling the characters faster in 12.10 than in 13.04...

So, 2 of the computers I've tried so far show no difference in speed with 13.04. (Though the software center appears to have sped up)

I'm guessing if I try 13.04 on my computer which has a newish Nvidia card I'll see improvement.

Also: Last summer, there was an issue with the Intel graphics driver which caused Unity to perform slowly on my laptop, and at some random point it was fixed, causing my laptop to perform better. Maybe these speed improvements are bug fixes on whatever hardware some people are using.

Edit, side note: I just set up XFCE on this other machine in 12.10 to run with Compiz--- it is beautiful. I don't understand why Unity can't run as well with Compiz with the same settings. The animations seem to not be missing any frames (XFCE+Compiz), whereas simply turning the Unity Plugin on (via Unity 3D session) seems to cause frames to drop consistently.

Last edited by gwjvan; January 12th, 2013 at 06:29 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast