Thread: Can't Install Ubuntu 12.04 on Custom PC

Beans

Can't Install Ubuntu 12.04 on Custom PC

So I bought a custom PC in Hong Kong about a year ago, and it works great with Windows 7. I created an install CD using Brasero on my laptop, on which I've got Ubuntu 12.04. I run the exe on the CD to have it restart automatically.

It takes me to a black screen with white text:

“Completing the Ubuntu installation.
    For more installation boot options, press 'ESC' now...
    _”

The 0 was originally a countdown, and it's stuck at 0, with the underscore blinking, and the whole screen flashing white once every 10 seconds or so.

Gahhhh, I have nothing important on Windows, I don't mind doing a clean erase... Help, please!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Can't Install Ubuntu 12.04 on Custom PC

Quote Originally Posted by linuxn00bface View Post
    I run the exe on the CD to have it restart automatically.
    Hi ,
    well , I assume you try to install Ubuntu via wubi installer. You have to know that wubi is just for testing Ubuntu. It is virtual installation and not recommended for long time.

The regular way to install Ubuntu(without erase Windows) is to make-create a dual boot.

You have to download the iso image of Ubuntu , 12.04 can be found here and burn the iso to CD/DVD or USB (for USB you have to use a program like Unetbootin).

Finally, boot from this CD/DVD or USB and Install Ubuntu AlongSide Windows.

For further - analytic info read here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NikTh View Post
    Hi ,
    well , I assume you try to install Ubuntu via wubi installer. You have to know that wubi is just for testing Ubuntu. It is virtual installation and not recommended for long time.

The regular way to install Ubuntu(without erase Windows) is to make-create a dual boot.

You have to download the iso image of Ubuntu , 12.04 can be found here and burn the iso to CD/DVD or USB (for USB you have to use a program like Unetbootin).

Finally, boot from this CD/DVD or USB and Install Ubuntu AlongSide Windows.

For further - analytic info read here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

Thanks
    Thanks for the response. Actually, I don't want Windows at all... just Ubuntu. Also, yes I did wubi, however when I boot from CD it just gives me the purple Ubuntu screen with the keyboard and guy in the middle, then goes to a blank screen with a blinking dash.

Help, please?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Try to use USB (Unetbootin program) or
    check the MD5 or
    burn the CD again at the slower speed.

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

aside form checkign the md5sum as suggested....

what is the configuration of computer? you might need to use boot options (for exampel nomodeset): https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla